Sign in to follow this  
WWGeezer

Windows 10 Purchase Online?

I am highly confused by all the sellers of Windows 10.  Chasing Professional 64 bit version.  Could go OEM or full purchase.  Benefit of full purchase is possible reinstall in the future might be easier ( but unlikely I would need to)

1. Can you do a clean install on a new build via download or should I buy the flash drive version?

2. Anything that looks too good to be true must have drawbacks.  Price ranges hugely, see below.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07ZP883Z2/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A2JQ3LMQDQPM3C&psc=1

https://www.newegg.com/microsoft-windows-10-pro-full-version-usb-flash-drive/p/N82E16832588529?Description=windows 10 professional 64 bit&cm_re=windows_10_professional_64_bit-_-9SIA85VAMB9752-_-Product

You're right about if its too good to be true.... Amazon does not require sellers to verify that the seller is not guilty of copyright infringement or that the product is not counterfit.  If I wanted to make some easy money I would get ahold of some copies of win10 provided to students at a discount, $50?, put them on a $2 thumb drive and list them on Amazon. No online help from microsoft on these student versions, but thats ok for some people. 

Even with the OEM you can do a reinstall on anothe machine... just make sure you dereregister the old macine at MS (call service desk) first.

On a fresh machine (new drive) you'll want to order the thumb drive version, because there will be no way to connect the pc to the internet without an OS.

From Amazon or NewEgg, filter by "sold by Amazon/Newegg" and shipped by the same. This way you don't get caught up with questionable 3rd party sellers.

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/get-windows-10-free-or-cheap,5717.html

Go to MS support, (https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10) download the Win10 ISO, burn to CD or install on your own flash-drive. Grab your old Win7 ow Win10 Home key code, call MS customer service and ask for upgrade options. May have to spend the $130 for a new key, or you may qualify for the upgrade/free key option. 

actually i"m trying that now.   putting w10 on an old w7 computer i use just for virus removal.   

just about everything I have read says w10 is still free.

• Like 1

Duck, I just updated 2 computers one from 7 the other 8.1 in the last week via a usb stick for free. Dont need to burn a dvd. Downloaded win10 off the MS site.

https://www.zdnet.com/article/heres-how-you-can-still-get-a-free-windows-10-upgrade/

Im sure youve got it figured out .

I found this kind of handy when 10 refused to update on another system

Edited by Fawlty

Ya I bought one of those dell refurbished optiplex 3020 strictly being used for wed browsing and MS office, to replace a loud older laptop. Pulled the 500gb hd threw in a extra 500gb ssd I had laying around loaded win 10 using the creation tool and have a speedy little unit with win 10 pro for less than $200 

Edited by Fawlty
  • Like 1

hmmm, so Windows 10 upgrade is free for existing Windows 7 owners.  If my original install is an OEM Windows 7, seems likely that I would need to purchase at least the OEM version for the shiny new computer.  Using technique above I could upgrade the Windows 7 OEM to Windows 10 perhaps.

If you had a unused version of 7 you could go to 10 using the serial numbers. If not save the frustration and grab 10oem

Yeah....I figure I used Window 7 for ten years at about $10 a year, think I will be a good citizen and pay to buy the OEM for the new machine.  Ended up buying from newegg so I at least know who I bought it from.  The basically sell you the product key ( for $129) and than you go thru the exact same exercise as your tutorial video to create a flash drive to boot from ( so thanks for the video).  

ut-oh......guess that makes me a bad citizen.....I aint never paid for an os….(or much of anything else..)

upgrade to w10 on virus computer was a easy.   Now putting w10 on a computer with a Celeron D and 2gigs of ram might not have been the smartest idea...

w10.jpg.3aeea8435f1bba587d837477e4cf6089.jpg

Edited by WWSittingduck

So they're going to stop supporting Windows 7 here shortly, and I plan on doing this free upgrade.  Is it going to be an all day thing and I'll be fixing shit for the next week, or will the overwhelming majority of my settings carry over to Windows 10?  I was going to do it this weekend, and just didn't want the hassle.  I think I'l do when I have two weeks off at Christmas.

Hope I don't put a curse on you by saying it is relatively easy, and does not take too long.

Here is what I followed, all I did was step one:

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/2376-create-bootable-usb-flash-drive-install-windows-10-a.html

I did not boot to the usb when finished. While still running w7, i ran the setup.exe that was on the usb drive created by the media creation tool.  Am guessing booting to the usb is only if you are working with a new computer, or one without an OS.

w10.jpg.e1d52e46b75cf8d15c8fea61c7541368.jpg

I'm taking my time redoing the win10 install Chunk. I'm using one of those docks with a new ssd, Unplugged all the present ssd's in the computer and loaded a fresh install of win 10 on to the clean docked ssd. I can work at my own pace to get everything working the way I want and still jump back to win 7 when needed by just plugging in the original ssd's. I almost thought this may be a good time to buy a new system but I can still run anything the way I want so no.

My Ch software stuff apparently doesn't like win 10 so I'll take my time to get it working right.

All I truly want to do if upgrade the OS, I don’t want to have to reinstall every piece of software I have. I too am concerned about the CH software, as I have some scripting for the throttle quad. We shall see...

This would be a lot easier if this was just a new build. 😉 

Hijack alert. I'm still struggling with the nausea thing. It is all in my head, I know. And how do I know? I start feeling queasy settling into my desk with the intent of launching the game! If I'm heading in to pay bills, or do some painting, I'm fine... As soon as I tell myself, "OK, you can do this," I break into a light sweat, and my eyes start jiggling. Not a pleasant thing, recogonising that I've psyched myself out so badly. 

I'm such a puss...

dub is this with VR or just flying at all?   I struggle a bit with any kind of roller coaster or spinning stuff and literally had to stare at the floor during the bad guy scenes of the Incredibles 2, so have been hesitant regarding VR because I too may be a wussy.   Vintage plane rides I have to be careful too.  No doubt once it is in your head the rest of the brain starts taking over to make it worse.

Just the thought of cranking the game up wth inent to fly. I can watch youtubes of in-game footage, and watch tracks, no problem, but as soon as I touch the flight equipment, I get wonky. Its a "head" thing right now.

There may be a physical element to it as well, though not positive until I can get prescription lenses for the Rift. I hope that gets me over the hump. 

Dub, exposure therapy is slowly training our brain that we arent really going to die when think about flying IN a plane. Getting ON a plane, well, you probably would die on the take off, so exposure therapy would just be a waste of time. :classic_laugh:

In exposure therapy, they take people to the airport and sit in the parking lot and listen to their favorite music. When they can relax in the parking lot, then they take them to sit in front of the terminal and listen to the music until they can relax while being just that little bit closer to even seeing the plane that someday they want to get INTO. Anyway you see the progression of training the brain that nothing scary here, lets just take small steps as the brain learns it doenst have to protect us from basic survival  fears. 

So, watch videos, tracks, while touching the joystick, holding the joystick, pay attention to the nasuea feeling, and take time to work through the first warning feelings. Can you wear the VR gear even if just on top of your head while doing something fun? or music?. Dis-associate the fear of nausea with changing the physical motions you go through, until the brain says, shit, this aint what Im supposed to keep the meat sack away from, and maybe over time this "see a snake, faint" feeling will subside.