Sign in to follow this  
WWDriftwood

Spitfire Mk.IXe Specs and Notes

Here are my notes on the Mk.IX / includes in game briefing plane specs and km/h to mph conversions

Easy engine management 

Spitfire-MkIXe-Specs-Training-DW.pdf

No more mixture adjustments...

Since the latest patches they removed the mixture auto rich/cutoff lever. After a little research I guess they opted for the earlier carburetor version...

Found some manuals here - https://ww2aircraft.net/forum/threads/spitfire-manuals.9050/ 

Found the info below in the Spitfire IX, XI  XVI.pdf via the above link. 

Early Bendix-Stromberg injection carburetors | no Idle cutoff lever

The idle cut-off valve on Bendix Stromberg carburetors is operated by moving the short lever on the throttle quadrant through the gate to the fully aft position. On early Stromberg carburetor installations this lever is not fitted, but the cut-off valve is operated by the ring (37) which on other aircraft operates the slow-running cut-out.

Hope it helps... 

Great set of notes Driftwood. I’ve been flying the clipped wing version a lot lately. Even managed a kill on CombatBox last night. Thanks for sharing these!

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, WWSittingduck said:

lol!  FIVE pages....is that all you could find?

LMAO, thanks Duck, my biggest fan... I think you will find engine management much easier in the Mk.IX since we can stay in combat power for an hour. 

Notes are the first 1.5 pages and everything you really need is on the fist page...

The other pages are the "in game briefing specs" so you don't have to open up the game to check that information against any outside resources like old manuals and I can add notes if I want.

I added km/h to mph conversions to the game specs. I wish they would always put both in the game, they do for some specs. Why give me km/h when the gauges are in mph is beyond me. Game settings allow for both so put both in the specs.

1 hour ago, WWChunk said:

Great set of notes Driftwood. I’ve been flying the clipped wing version a lot lately. Even managed a kill on CombatBox last night. Thanks for sharing these!

Cool, that's supposed to increase roll rate and speed at lower altitudes. Haven't tried it yet... waiting to get more time/hours in so when I do try it I'll notice the differences more. 

46 minutes ago, WWSittingduck said:

Would be great if you could change the cockpit pic "on the fly"

You mean for having different routes/orders in the custom photo? 

I was thinking about that. I need to try creating a shortcut to the graphics/planes and another shortcut to my custom photos folder. Then try placing each route in it's own folder so I don't have to rename the custom_photo.dds on the fly. 

Idea is - fly one sortie with route 1 / then land / re-plane / before you choose your plane / alt-tab out of the game / drag & drop to overwrite the current custom photo with the new route / then choose the same plane with photo and see if you get the new route/custom photo. 

If route 1 and route 2 use different planes we just add the custom photo / route for that plane. 

Is that what you were talking about? / or am I in the far left field catching butterfly's when they let me out of my padded cell for some exercise. 

Easily done. Write a quick batch file that copies the one file from a holding directory to the plane directory you want with the -r parameter.  In game and only when in main menu choose that batch file and run it (easily done in voice attack too). When you go back and choose planes and accessories  from mission the new photo is ther

example of map2.bat

copy c:/holding/map2.dds c:/il2 sturmovik/data/graphics/planes/p38j/textures/custom_photo.dds -r

• Like 1

yeah...like that zed....

was thinking of doing it more like this thou..

PHOTO

(which photo? she says)

Mustang

(photo switched! she says)

have a .cmd file in each planes textures folder

Thanks Zed...

That would be cool if you could use voice attack and switch maps on the fly in flight. 

• If it's alt/tab run the command verses drag/drop/yes to overwrite it's a wash. 
  • Now if you could choose multiple maps using voice command, map 1, map 2, or map 3 etc, and have it update in cockpit while flying, you have may attention. 😉
  • Trick will be which plane/planes are flying? do you say P51 map 2, spit 9 map 1, etc...
  • Or do you setup multiple commands to cover the 2-3 different planes you might be flying, say map 1 and it overwrites it for all the planes you setup batch files for. 
  • I'll do the basic test, leave the folders open then alt/tab drag drop as needed to see how it works, if it's okay... then get jiggy with da .bat
  • unfortunately none of this sounds user friendly for the average user.

Sounds like the job for a 3rd party mod

Nope doesn’t work like that. The .dds file is read once when you load plane. Changing picture in flight shouldn’t change textures already loaded

Or do you setup multiple commands to cover the 2-3 different planes you might be flying, say map 1 and it overwrites it for all the planes you setup batch files for.  In voice attack you set it up with prefix.  Command prefix map2 then command mustang.  Would run appropriate batch file..

Sounds like a Thursday night test to see how the overwrite/cache works in game when switching planes or re-planing same plane. 

Back to the Spit IX...

Gotta love how you can do a negative push in the Spit over other planes... 15 sec in, I'm turning inverted as a bandit climbs and starts to shoot, I just maintain the position and push forward on the stick to put myself outside the bullets line of fire as opposed to turning away from it, other planes just to respond to well if you do that, not the spit, she likes it. 

Had to ring out the engine to see how she does... 

well...after all that..it don't work.  Whatever gets loaded when you start the game is what you have no matter what you do to custom_photo.  Even tried switching to another plane, then back to the mustang.

Edited by WWSittingduck

No worries, maybe someday they will allow different photos like different skins then we can have multiple maps. Only works if you have orders in advance and the orders don't change last minute. Or/If you know your using 2 planes for the different routes then you load up the custom photo map for each plane before the mission. That will work every time for now. or / sticky post-it. 

Training Skins with notes

One thing I'm going to do after the campaign is take the time to make training skins. I did this in X Plane.

Type the notes on the wings of the aircraft so all you do is glance out the window. So when I don't fly something for 2 months I can pull up my pdf/notes and use the training skin and I'm good to go... If your flying a plane for the first time having notes on the wings really works well... 

Basically set it up as a single layer anyone can add to there personal skin, just drop it into your skin template. 

Same with aerobatic trainer skins, I put all my entry speeds on the wings.  

Edited by WWDriftwood