Steam vs Not Steam?

WWGeezer

Have a friend at work that has a young son who is an avid gamer.  He is getting interested in flight sims.  He uses steam.  not a steam guy, is there pros and cons to accessing BOS thru steam.  Also he asked something about my Steam ID....if there are WingWalkers on Steam do they connect with each other or something.  Naive to this platform.  Any advise?

I pointed him towards stuff, but the Free to Play ROF is probably the best place to start if you are transitioning from gamer to flight simmer.

I have Steam, and there is a WW group on there. Not used often, except for Arma3 for me. Oh, and IL2 Bob (the one in between 46 and Stalingrad.) 

I would recommend he buy and install IL2 BoX (or DCS, P3D, XPlane, etc) outside of steam. He can still add it to his Steam game collection and even launch it through Steam.

But buying and installing it through Steam means he's limited to whatever updates, etc, 777 has made for the Steam version of IL2 BoX.

That said, Steam and its communities can be very useful. Especially if a group has no other means of getting together (no website of their own, for example.) Steam also costs money, and is a commercial venue funded through sales. Expect ads throughout the Steam universe. 

Compared to other gaming community apps out there, Steam is by far the largest. But there are alternatives. I'm posting this via mobile, so don't have access to some of the others I have (a free game from my video card meant I had to install a Steam-like alternative, that has since changed its name.) 

A screen cap of the mobile Steam app's chat box, showing currently online friends... 

Screenshot_20200118-083212.png

• Like 1

I've been using steam for the last 13 years and haven't had any issues, other then a couple hiccups with logging in.

I can still get things from the il2 website,and sometimes have to and it incorporates right into my steam page.

As far as it costing money, Steam itself is free, I don't recall ever seeing ads anywhere cept for other games for sale etc.

I've got 100 games on steam, though only 26 are still loaded and out of those maybe only 5 are still played.

I personally like Steam.

I'm ATHF MeatWad 

I should be on Boscoe's friends list.

Oh Chunk, regarding Arma 3, your missing lots of fun. Myself and a number of WW's get together every Wed. Bayo, Warmonger, Plague,Varg,and a number of others you may not know. I create a mission one week Inf_Guy does the next. https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=849019768

Geez regarding Steam, I think it;s absolutely great, I've been on for 15 years. I just reinstalled DCS  to fly the spitfire I purchased over the last sale to fly around Normandy and went with the Steam install, your not missing out on anything. Software is automatically kept up to date and if you remove things then later reinstall your addons etc. are all auto loaded. If you see a few of the guys playing something on your friends list just right click the name and join.

• Like 1

Been a steam member since 2004. I just use it for game library and not any of the social stuff they throw out there. I'm just anti-social that way. Biggest advantage to me is save games going to the cloud so even if I switch systems I can pick up where I left off.

Edited by WWSensei

2 hours ago, WWSandMan said:

Oh... I had no idea and denied that friend request because I didn't know who it was, oops! I'll send you a request.

It's alright Sandy, I never changed my steam name so I don't think most people in the group know it's me, I've got a pending invite for the wing walkers steam group as well, but because they don't know the name it's still pending...lol

3 hours ago, WWSandMan said:
On ‎1‎/‎18‎/‎2020 at 1:40 PM, WWICYtheDEAD said:

I'm ATHF MeatWad 

Oh... I had no idea and denied that friend request because I didn't know who it was, oops! I'll send you a request.

Somehow I think  I also would have denied that request ...….

Edited by WWSittingduck
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1