Sign in to follow this  
WWGeezer

FC WWCOOP Sunday at 6:00 PM pacific

He looks really sad, I think he misses shooting at things

So boys, I have a terra byte of a back up drive sitting empty.   Everyone pointed me towards Acronis, but it sure looks like a subscription service.  Any other alternatives or am I looking in the wrong place?

Posted (edited)

zed...you sent me your profile while back ago....

I have no idea where I put it, but if you think it would be of any help, can find it.

Edited by WWSittingduck

Posted (edited)

Geezer it depends on the make of your drives, If you have either crucial/western digital or seagate plus I'm sure more then you can get acronis free from the manufacturer.

eg.   https://support.wdc.com/downloads.aspx?p=119    it used to be that all you need is one of their drives in your system to work. 

Most other manufacturers like samsung I believe also have free cloning software on their sites.

I've used this before as well but it's slow

https://www.macrium.com/reflectfree

edit; Samsungs DATA MIGRATION software

https://www.samsung.com/semiconductor/minisite/ssd/download/tools/

Edited by Fawlty
  • Like 1

you have to be very careful when purchasing acronis.  there are several (or were several) license plans out there, and your right, if you don't pay attention to what you are getting, you could end up with something that is just good for one year.  Hell, I did it once.  Thank god it was one of those free with rebate deals.

did not do a ton of searching on this one, but appears it is not a subscription server plan (for the basic backup).

https://www.newegg.com/acronis-true-image-2020-1-computer/p/N82E16832200219?reviews=all&Description=acronis true image&cm_re=acronis_true_image-_-32-200-219-_-Product&quicklink=true

I use it to  create scheduled backups of my os drives, so most important thing for me is knowing if the shit hits the fan, I can also restore my os from an image.

what I did not like about acronis:

if I want to interrogate an image file and pull just a couple files inside, it takes forever to mount the image.  When I used nortons it took a couple seconds.

First (and only so far) time I had to reload the entire OS from image, it took bout 45 mins for boot cd to load.  I pointed it to the image file I wanted, then I pointed it towards the destination drive to install time image (a new ssd), and acronis promptly told me the version I had did not support formatting a new drive (which was bullshit...I had the full version.)  Had I not had a docking station, I would have been screwed.  Had to format the drive in dos, then run acronis all over again.

it's a shame nortons dropped Ghost....

but, imho, anyone who does not create a restoreable image of their os at least once a week, or once a month is asking for problems.

• Like 1

Thanks Duck but I am cleaning it all up anyway.  Making a whole new set with the latest version of voice attack...

Geezer sent a mission to Butzell.   Have been making the assumption this is just FC, but with what we have been doing in BoX, we very seldom see the same situation, ie, humans flying in  a dogfight with ai on both sides, so it could be a BoX issue as well.

but without a doubt, the ai have a strong tendency to ignore human targets as long as there are ai targets around.

mission started out 3 (me and 2 ai) on 4.  All I would do is fly around and see if anyone engaged me (they didn't).  After 3 mins my wing got deleted.

up'd the odds to 3 on 8.  After three mins, my wingmen got deleted, and it was 1 on 8.  thought for sure I would only last a min or so.  I think I could have flown around till I ran out of gas.  The ai engaged me, but they spent more time just flying around than anything else.

Trimmed the mission to a 1 on 2, and it was a much better dogfight.  Almost seemed like the ai could fight better when they did not have a ton of other planes that they had to deal with.

here is what I sent to Butzell if anyone wants to fiddle with it (mp)

http://bhah.homeip.net:192/Old Fokkers/Misssions/fc behavioir.rar

Mission builders, messing around with Vanders easy mission builder. Made a coop called Attack at dawn with an ample number of playable planes. What I did was make them all with zero fuel, we of course always check our fuel when we enter the sim but the ai won't go anywhere eliminating the problem of opfor ai not attacking players. A bonus to this is the friendly ai planes despawn in less than 60 seconds clearing the way for us to land at the end of the mission. I also went around and did the same with  all friendly ai at different parts of the map. I didn't check to see if just deleting them would mess with the game logic so I changed their alt. to ground level with no fuel. I'll experiment to see if deleting them messes things up.

When I add players planes I try to link them the same as what the mission generator has done but found a problem that the ME crashes  when I try to use the "Find Target..." as per the image. Sometimes locating these targets is a real hassle or they're located at the other corner of the map.

Does your editor crash as well?

Hope the image shows 

spacer.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

that particular crash is new to me.  ME crashing, especially on Rhineland map has been an issue for a while. but most of it seems to be related to zooming in or moving around the map.

only thing i can suggest,  Is the plane you are working on in a group, and the group selected? If so, there have been posts on the forum about issues when working in stuff inside groups.  So maybe you can set the mission to working, and get to the advanced properties of the plane from the mission tree, and not the icon on the map, and create your link.

long shot for sure, but only thing I can think of.

I'll give that a try, regarding the in and out of groups.

What do you think of the no fuel idea.

I'm just trying a delete after the mission starts for non home base friendly ai which doesn't give me any errors, so that's easy

A little birdy told me that Fawlty is working on a COOP for Sunday.   

I think the mission will run something like this.....

• 12 planes staying isolated from each other in separate hangers,
  • Only allowed to leave to get fuel and fly one circuit  around the airfield and than go back in the hanger.  
  • Also must listen to non stop competing radio broadcasts that say we are either loosing or winning the war.
  • Lots of sitting around and playing cards

oh, wait a minute, that's my real life....hopefully Fawlty will come up with something better

pilots.jpg

• Haha 1