Postcard from the Edge

WWGeezer

A lot of fear of the unknown out there.  

I thought I was lucky working for the hospital because no job security issues, but now the wife is scared to death i am going to bring the virus home with me and trying to convince me not to go to work.  Only going in one day a week, rest is telework and my office is not in the hospital, thought I had it worked out, but hate to see the spouse that fearful.  

All construction in the UC system has been determined to be essential, contractors want our jobs to keep going because it is employment....at the same time there is the whole ethical issue of exposing tradesmen to risk when they should be home with their families.

No easy answers.

As someone with a comprised immune system I have to be especially cautious these days, with Carol still working out of her office she is also very cognizant of how she manages her day and who she interacts with.  If she asks me one more time how I'm feeling I think I'm going to bluntly tell her to stop mothering me, I know she means well and is deathly afraid of bringing something home but it is what it is.  As long as we take all the necessary precautions and follow the guidance of our health care professionals then we've done our part.

However I have a very hard time understanding those individuals that are unable to follow even the simplest instructions on how to take care of themselves, their families and others around them.  Our Federal government has advised all Canadians returning from international travel to self isolate for 14 days, sound good right, wrong!!

A family just down the street from us who are also good friends recently returned from spring break in Florida.  They are sup[posed to be self isolating, yet twice in the last 2 days I've seen her and the 2 boys out walking around the neighborhood, her husband is not much better, seen him out driving around town in his truck.

Yesterday Carol took the dog out for a walk and ran into another friend of ours who immediately announced (after covering her mouth with her arm) that she was self isolating having just returned from Mexico.

These folks are normally very intelligent business professionals and respected in their fields yet for the life of me I can't understand what part of self isolation don't they understand.  It's all over the news media, government websites, etc., etc,. etc., on what you need to do if asked to self isolate, it doesn't mean you head out and stroll the neighborhood, take walks by the river or drive around town....  Apparently there is a lot of "it can't happen here or it can't happen to me" going around because we live in the north, typical stupid attitude of self entitlement that some Yukoners have, drives me insane that they care nothing for anyone but themselves.

Well that was quite a rant, no apologies though, I'm sure some of you have seen similar things.

Anyway, I hope and trust that all of you take the proper steps to protect yourselves and in turn your families during these trying and stressful times.

On ‎3‎/‎17‎/‎2020 at 12:20 AM, WWCraven said:

That chunk of broccoli doesn't look all that appealing🤢, but I suppose something is better than the alternative.

That's not broccoli...… Its a breaded and fried chipmunk, they always forget to remove the fur...... I have eaten at that base......

Business as usual here, get up every morning put on the uniform, realize your expendable, sorry spelled that wrong...…. essential...….and hope that whatever lurks out there doesn't kill you...… Same old, same old...… 😆👍  

Edited by WWNavyGunner

On the bright side, you can eat a stick of butter! 

When Zed mentioned "walkers" he almost got me to take this s**t seriously!!  Walkers?!?!?!  Then I realized he meant people actually walking. 

🙂

I actually think that as long as you don't go up to other people, or cough all over some public object everyone is handling, being outside is a very good idea.  There's no way in the world I could stay inside a house for even one day, much less 14 of them in a row.  Just keep your distance and don't touch things.  And, as Robbie always says, DON'T TOUCH YOUR FACE! 

Ooops....just touched my face! 

Edited by WWGriphos
  • Haha 1

• 1 month later...