John Prine ( please pull through )

WWSoarfeat

Ya, Chinese virus is going to cause death to 100k citizens, Moms Dads, Siblings,  at a minimum, sad to lose Joe Diffie, "third rock from the sun" singer, and probably now,  John Prine, he fought cancer 3 times. Sam Stone. Hello in there. Enough said about his body of work, talent. 

• 2 weeks later...

I am absolutely embarrassed that I did not "discover" John Prine until his passing. I had heard his name mentioned as an artist before but had never put the name and the works together. I have been watching anything I can get my hands on nearly daily since his passing. I cannot believe his talent in poetry/song writing. Absolutely amazing. Very Dylan like, but he stuck to his roots throughout his career it appears. Trying to learn Travis picking pattern now. His guitar playing was also sublime.  So very sad. Watching the tributes from other music artists as well as Colbert, Seth Meyers.. shows the breadth of his appeal. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/22/2020 at 12:05 PM, WWReaper said:

I am absolutely embarrassed that I did not "discover" John Prine until his passing. I had heard his name mentioned as an artist before but had never put the name and the works together. I have been watching anything I can get my hands on nearly daily since his passing. I cannot believe his talent in poetry/song writing. Absolutely amazing. Very Dylan like, but he stuck to his roots throughout his career it appears. Trying to learn Travis picking pattern now. His guitar playing was also sublime.  So very sad. Watching the tributes from other music artists as well as Colbert, Seth Meyers.. shows the breadth of his appeal. 

Salute Reaper, 

You have captured what John Prine was about and  your  post is such a great tribute to him and defines his appeal and immortality as an artitist.

I really enjoyed this post, by the way I have an old 1968 Martin D18 guitar and a couple of inexpensive classical guitars ( Yamaha and a Hohner ), and love playing both folk and " sort of classical music "( by ear, don't read guitar music as of yet ). 

Cheers--sf--  

yes reaper thanks for the reminder.  I had a few opportunities to see John Prine locally and he looked so old, I was a bit afraid to go.  The last concert did get to go to locally was Iris Dement who sings the duet with him in the video I posted.  I guess I am a late bloomer child of the sixties, meaning I had older brothers and sisters playing lots of music growing up, so early in life I listened to Dylan, Joni Mitchell, Simon and Garfunkel, later in life to Bruce Springsteen and others.  As an old guy have settled in to really appreciate singer song writers who have a heart and sole.  John Prine was right there.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, WWGeezer said:

yes reaper thanks for the reminder.  I had a few opportunities to see John Prine locally and he looked so old, I was a bit afraid to go.  The last concert did get to go to locally was Iris Dement who sings the duet with him in the video I posted.  I guess I am a late bloomer child of the sixties, meaning I had older brothers and sisters playing lots of music growing up, so early in life I listened to Dylan, Joni Mitchell, Simon and Garfunkel, later in life to Bruce Springsteen and others.  As an old guy have settled in to really appreciate singer song writers who have a heart and sole.  John Prine was right there.

Well said Geezer !!!! 

Very nice read---thanks Sandy !!!

I love this quoted from the article--- Prine’s not one to give advice, but when pressed, he offers the following counsel to fellow songwriters, struggling or otherwise. “Keep it to what you know about, no matter how small or simple you think it is. If you stay in that box, you’re going to wind up writing something bigger than the box, but if you go outside of it, then you’re just guessing and you’re in outer space. Keep your antennas up and your gear clean because you never know when [the songs] are going to come along. I still don’t know where they come from after all these years.”

This advice is  not only for songwriters--ha !!!

• Haha 1

Watching him from his early days until cancer had taken it's toll on him was fascinating. Have seen many interviews now, (especially cool one on the Nashville Network with Bobby Bare along with Rambin' Jack Elliot, another genius I'd never heard of) He was low key and the epitome of cool. He was a song writers/song writer and I am soooo glad to have him in my listening repertoire now. Thanks for the appropriate tributes to him here WW's. Another reason to just love the camaraderie here.  Not only similar hobbies but similar hearts.....has always made this place special.

• Like 2

I soooo want to add spoilers about the Sugarman show... It is definitely worth a watch. Thanks again, Chuck, I appreciate the head's-up on a worthwhile video.

After that I kind of went down the rabbit hole of docu-drama movies on various rock bands and musicians. Let's just say they aren't all as interesting and/or well made.

So glad you enjoyed it.

Another one I liked was the "20 feet from Stardom"   focusing on some of the best back up singers in history.

I'm sure you've watched the Eagles doc....that was fantastic as well.

Stay Safe!

• Like 1

"Standing in the shadow of Motown" with Amazon Prime. Story of the various musicians known as the Funk Brothers who sat in Gordy's garage and arranged music and  played on hit after hit. 

A little teaser of the content of the program. Groups or artists would come in with some lyrics, try to tell  the Funk Brothers what they thought the 'groove' of the music for the song should be, and a record would be made. NO multi track then, just lay down a take on tape and move on. Here is a classic that is right up there with the best, performance a few years ago. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...