DCS -- Just sayin'....

WWGriphos

7 hours ago, WWChunk said:

I was thinking it would finally be time for the Tomcat, but alas, it is not taking part in the 50% off sale.  I may give some stuff a go in the free for all though.

They have ALL aircraft on sale in May and you can try all aircraft for free right now...

Just because I sometimes put my foot in mouth, I logged into DCS this afternoon, and sure as shit, the F-14 and the Viggen are NOT available via the sale, NOR are they available to try for the month.  This is some bullshit advertising by ED, in my not very humble opinion.

Something is not right with the offer even with the planes that you can try out.  I downloaded two, and when I started DCS, it wouldn't authenticate and wouldn't let me get on Multiplayer.  I had to remove the modules.  It may be because I'm on Open Beta, but all the guys I fly with are on OB, so I have to be as well. 

Their forums are hard to navigate as well, but hopefully you find a fix. I want to fly that Tomcat with another person so damn bad. C’mon ED end Heatblur, give the people what they want. 😉

Is there anything else that you would recommend as must haves Griph?

Hmmmm....I don't know if any are must-haves, since I've got most of them, and still rarely fly DCS.  The Hornet seems to be the flavor lately, and I'm enjoying it, but there are bugs.  The F-16 is still too early in its development.  I think I enjoy the Sabre the best, but then I've always loved that plane.  Of the WWII stuff, I've flown the P-51 the most, and enjoy it.   For Nam era stuff, I think the F-5 is best.  Great plane. 

If you're at all into choppers, then the Huey is the single best simulation of that iconic chopper ever, and probably the best helicopter in any sim, and even the best aircraft in DCS. 

Hm, just for a lark, going to try several of those I don't already own. A couple of the 50's-60's era MiG's (19 and 21, I have the 15)

I am very curious about the UH-1H, having spent a fair amount of time riding in them in my Army days. '82-'86, just as the UH-60's were making their appearance (all those cool vertical "tapes" in the UH-60 cockpit were mesmerizing for this back-seater to watch during flights, "very Star Wars-ish" I remember thinking at the time!) The Huey's were soooooo noisy. Not that the BlackHawks were much quieter, they just had a different tone to them that wasn't quite so alarming from miles away. I had one ride in a Cobra, and even my skinny self (then, certainly not now!) could just barely squeeze into the Cobra's front office.  I loved that helmet mounted reticle for the tri-barrel 20mm canon, that thing was SWEET. Rode in a couple 4-seaters (Hughes 600?) that were incredibly nimble and very sneaky quiet. Also had the misfortune of being selected to demonstrate Australian rappel from a Chinook... Face-first out the door and down the rope. Scared the crap out of me... that's why I went back to do it several more times, lol. The Ranger instructors finally got tired of seeing me in line, and nearly had me signing up for Ranger training. I found some common sense though, and decided I wasn't a snake-eater. Which I quite literally ended up doing a short time later. Karma is a bitch. Then I went back to jumping out of "perfectly good aircraft" in Italy and Germany.

I wouldn't get the Mig-19.  It's by Razbam, and they never seem to finish their planes.  From what I hear, it's in a fairly bad state at present.  The Mig-21 is a challenge, but I like it.  I have the -15 and the Sabre, and love both.   Again, the F-5 is very good, but that's 70s. 

I remember when the Cobra came out.  I thought the helmet targeting was so cool!  So starfighter!!

• Like 1

You sure that isn't a picture of my first flight?

Holler at me anytime you want to fly it together.  A real Huey pilot taught me the ropes on that bird.  Happy to pass along any of the tips I remember. 

Edited by WWGriphos
  • Like 1

Once I got the controls roughly set up I was able to follow the other Huey on that Harbor tour mission. Even flew formation, and managed a messy but successful (ie: no broken parts) landing. 

Taxiing is a bitch though... I have a lot of practice to do before I can be proficient.

I've watched 3/5 Air Cav taxy the entire squadron with hurys, Blackhawks, kiowas and cobras. Was cool to see so many helos hovering and floating down the taxi ways at Ft Lewis Airport. 

Yeah, taxiing helos are one of the most impressive flying events I know of. 

I don't think I've ever mentioned that I really wanted to fly choppers.  As I was (finally) graduating from college, I was trying to join the Army as a helo pilot.  My plan was to do the 6 year enlistment required for that specialty and then do a lateral transfer to the Coast Guard for a career.  We were clicking along in the process when the recruiter discovered I'd be two months too old by the time I'd finish flight school.  Damn my slow progress through college!!!!

They tried to get me to join Air Force intelligence instead.  I was mildly tempted for a little while, and then declined. 

It's funny how our lives turn on small details and wind up taking entirely different directions! 

Again, hit me up if you want to fly together.  I'll fly the Huey anytime! 

• Like 1