Joystick repair?

WWGeezer

If my CH Products Flightstick Pro  is getting jumpy, seems likely the pots are decaying.  It is a very simple joystick and I love it will replace it if I must.  So how possible is it to repair it? 

(what it is doing is randomly jumping up and down)

image.png

I fixed one of those back in the game port days and it wasn't to hard to fix. I think CH sent me the replacement parts from your neck of the woods Geez.

I have two usb fightersticks and two combat sticks of the old game port versions. If you can't find replacement parts let me know I may have something for you.

Not sure if usb pots and gameport pots are the same.

Edited by WWFawlty

Probably Fawlty is your best bet there. But if you can find a part number on the pots you have, CH uses common and readily available stuff. They don’t make their own. You should be able to find the same pots, but you may have to order them from China. 

Geezer,

These are easy to troubleshoot and repair. I fixed my CH Fighter Stick, rudder pedals and Pro Throttle ( I am still using  the throttle )  For me, the problem with the jitter  you are describing was the wire terminal connector to the pots was just a little loose and all that was needed was to use something like needle nose pliers to pinch the wire terminal connectors a little tighter on the potetiometer post connector.  Whenever I opened these things up I go ahead and clean the pots with this stuff  pot cleaner  ( it takes just a very brief squirt in the opening in the pot that leads to the internal pot disc. On the throttle and fighter stick I just went ahead and soldered the connecters at the pot terminals to insure a good tight connection. This was also a recommendation by Bob Smith on the old CH forum.  If you solder the terminals just don't hold the soldering iron tip too long on the pot or it may damage it.  As Fawlty said, and I offer the same if you need a spare pot let me know and I'll send one over. I believe if you just carefully squeeze the terminal connector together that should work. 

Time for this repair --- @ 1 cup of coffee  !

Soarfeat, do you know of anyone does hall sensor replacements for the pots in the Throttle Quad? I’m using a profile in Control Manager to work on some of the issues in the axis settings, but I’d love to put hall sensors in there as opposed to pots. I miss the CH Hangar. 

There is also this guy building CH electronics upgrades, check out his thread at the DCS forum, might have exactly what you're looking for.

By Rel4y: https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=4191652&postcount=67

Contactless "potentiometer" (KMZ-41 sensor, with bearing in axis pole) and 12 bits USB controller with connectors compatible with original used in CH cables making a "plug-and-play" upgrad

e.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, WWChunk said:

Soarfeat, do you know of anyone does hall sensor replacements for the pots in the Throttle Quad? I’m using a profile in Control Manager to work on some of the issues in the axis settings, but I’d love to put hall sensors in there as opposed to pots. I miss the CH Hangar. 

Hey Chunk,

I have not seen pot mod  for the CH Throttle Quad, most likely because of the way the design is. That would be nice though !!! 

This guy also has hall sensor mod for CH Prop Thottle

Pro Throttle to Hall sensor

• Thanks 1

Geezer, found this the yesterday

https://simhq.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/4482268/ch-products-replacement-pots-now-available

https://www.digikey.com/products/en?keywords=reppot604

You need pots with:
- the same axis diameter, lenght, and D recess postion - in CH gimbal pot's axis are part of mechanism, if you remove the pot's the gimbal disassembles.
- 60 degrees of reading angle - to get these you need order batch for manufactures (CTS pot's is used by CH).
Replace pot' with DIY HALL sensor assembly . CH "guru" Bob Church say that is no viable due how CH drivers use pot' (voltage) readings

I took apart one of my old game port fightersticks yesterday and found CH did use the same pots in them.

The easiest solution for you is, if you don't use the throttle part of the joystick is replace the defective pot with the little used throttle pot, they are the same.

Take your defective pot and soak it in contact cleaner  (not WD 40). If it's only dirt causing the problem your pot will be reusable.

BTW the pot id# is HP-100A the next numbers on the pot is the date stamp.

Edited by WWFawlty
  • Like 1

Thanks Fawlty....going to have to look at this more closely when I have a little more time.  I know once I go under the hood I am dead in the water until I finish it.  when you talk about the pot for the Throttle, are you talking about the wheel on the left?  I do use that for my prop pitch right now,   

All of this sounds encouraging, but tis a bit of a project, will definitley open it up soon and at take a look