Sign in to follow this  
WWSandMan

Did a thing...

So, I have been getting a bit irritated at the crappy low-light/hi-ISO performance of my camera (Canon EOS 80D). Basically anything over 6400 was grainy as all get out. Which seriously limited me in some situations. I'm not talking about getting photos of the Milky Way or that kind of dark, long exposure thing. Just your average non-flash photos in a poorly lit room. So I'd go dig out the flash, maybe get a couple nice shots, but hear all kinds of "damn, that's bright" complaints. And sometimes I don't want flash... Sometimes I like the nice ambience of natural light. 

I got tagged on a deal from Canon... get a factory refurbished EOS R mirrorless full-frame for $1400. It's not like I have that kind of cash just laying around, but ... dang. That seemed worth looking at. The fine print was that it was a body-only. No RF lens. Well, poop. Can I use my existing EF glass? I can! But... it takes an adapter. The cheap one for $90 will allow any EF or EF-S lens to connect to the R camera. Two other versions include the Control Ring (a feature of RF lenses that can be set to do anything you like << spoiler: I use it to cycle through white-balance settings, a slight twist, and I go from daylight to flash >> ) ; the last version includes the ability to drop in various filters (down side is that it requires a filter at all times to operate, even if it's just a clear piece of glass.) Obviously I opted for the Control Ring version. Loving it! My limited lens selection is loving it too... (the tiny 50mm f1.8, the 24-70 f4L and the 100-400 f4-5.6 II) ... kinda cool how well that super inexpensive f1.8 50mm prime works. There's a very high-end 50mm RF lens, at f1.2, that looks like a gallon paint jug in front of the camera body, but it's suuuuper nice. And suuuper expensive. Maybe one day. 

Now the problem, such as it is, is to get outside and get some photos, or get somewhere and get some low-light to see how it works. But between work, house-hunting with Meghan, and all kinds of weird things taking my time... Well, it's been interesting. And I haven't had as much time as I want to get used to this new camera. 

Let me be the first to say...

THIS THREAD IS WORTHLESS WITHOUT PICS!!

:wee:

• Haha 1

Lol! That is correct. 

Was hoping to correct that issue on Saturday with a river float. But that got upended by a friend who needs muscle moving refrigerators around... I'll find the time to put the R through its paces. 

• Haha 1

So the help needed moving stuff didn't happen until early evening. Did manage to get a couple hours kayaking on the lake under beautiful skies, gentle breeze... And a crazy amount of other folks on the water. This was actually our first time on the water this season, so I (we, Meghan and I) didn't take cameras. I know my luck, didn't want to chance it. Nor did she. 

If I didn't have to unload moving trucks (plural) in 90 degree heat, I would have retrieved my camera and returned to the lake. Last night's sunset was spectacular, at least what I saw of it. Thankfully summer is far from over, and I'll have more chances for those wave-top sunset photos I like. 

We're about to head to my mom's place in Colorado and taking the kayaks with us.  I love paddling! 

• Like 1

Okay, so the exported full-sized .jpg's are too big for direct forum upload... But I can add them as remotely uploaded images. Click for the full sized versions. Nothing spectacular here... a couple shots of Rocky the Cavoodle, Meg with Rocky and doing a video call with her brother in Az, and one of the flowers on the front porch.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

lol, 6720x4480 ... and the forum doesn't display the full size, but you can download the image at full resolution. 

Rocky is pretty photogenic, and that Moon shot is, as the kiddos say, fire!

• Like 1

I was surprised by how well the moon shot came out. That was a daylight shot (dusk, I suppose, sun had set but still light out), hand-held with a fast enough shutter speed to come out clear. Just lucky, or maybe just the cool result of a full-frame camera with pretty fair low light specs.

Had to dig around to find what settings I was using. Canon EOS R, with Canon 100-400 F4-5.6L lens and EOS EF-R control ring adapter.

400mm, 1/30 sec, F11, ISO 100. 

• Like 1

A few more for this topic... Rocky in his favorite window seat; another moon shot; neighborhood fireworks (of the biggest kind legal in Minnesota, but the kids love it) ; sunset colors in the clouds

IMG_0165.jpg

IMG_0164.jpg

IMG_0162.jpg

IMG_0137.jpg

• Like 2