well,,,i have no idea what happened.  I was set up by 8:00 with sun still above horizon.  I was looking in the right general direction.  When it got dark enough for the big dipper to come out ((9:15ish) I knew pretty much exactly where to look...but saw nothing.   I weak cold front must have moved in right about the same time, cause by 9:30 all my optics where dripping from the condensation.  

suppose to be clear again tonight, so am going to try it again, but with just the binoculars. Good chance I might be a no-show flying.

• Like 1

Duck, one problem you may be experiencing is the air quality in your area.

It was not easy to see here and we can see clearly for around 100 miles, I’m nowhere near any light pollution or air pollution. Still, it was hard to spot until I knew where to look and even then it wasn’t that visible.

So... ran out, got eaten by mosquitoes, but got a glimpse of #CometNeowise. Actually, Meghan spotted it first while letting Rocky out. Of course I got excited to grab a photo, so we zipped out into the country a bit with our cameras.

Taken just outside North Mankato, MN., about 11pm (central). 

Canon EOS R, Canon 100-400 F4-5.6L IS II USM, @ 400mm, F6.3, ISO 5000, tri-pod mounted, 10 second exposure, single image (not stacked) and hand triggered (so not as clear as I wanted.) 

Will try again tonight when I get my phone properly hooked up to trigger the shutter. Might try taking several and stacking them, see how that turns out. 

Will need to be properly doused with bug stuff, too, lol!

_MG_0258 (1).jpg

• Like 2

very nice shot.

you people must have much better skies than me.  Took me forever to find it, and I knew where to look.  I would call it "impressive" in 20x80 binoculars, but hardly spectacular.

"might" consider setting up the scope again.

Wow... Some folks know how to do this. Check this post out from FB (Minnesota Photography group) :

https://www.facebook.com/groups/5286679988/permalink/10159810818279989/

"Comet NEOWISE up close and personal. This is a series of 6 5-minute long images stacked for a total time of 30 minutes. I use an iOptron sky guider pro to take the long exposures. I used curves, noise reduction and Lumenzia in PS to pull out some of the details.  Images were stacked in Sequator. Geek data: Sony a7rIV Tamron 70-180 mm @157 mm, f/4, iso 100, 5 minutes. Thanks for looking. I think it's kind of cool to see the ion gas trail."

FB_IMG_1595163488708.jpg

• Like 1

lol,,,yeah, but that's just stupid.  You can get a Celestron motor driven mount WITH telescope for under 200.00.  Go to ebay and search for equatorial mount.

very nice pic thou...am jealous

Am thinking of getting this (or one like it)

intervalometer

I have a 300d.  It has mirror lock (thanks to a firmware hack), and remote shooting,  but does not have live view, or time-lapse.  

At least the Sequator software for stacking images is free. May have to play with that ... at some point in the future. Moving in a week, so not likely to happen before that.

stacking software was a bit of a bear for me...just to many settings/variables etc.  About the only time I would use it is when I took videos thru the webcam.  Limit it to 2000 frames, and then run it thru the stacking software.  i have no idea if this is the way you should go (ie video over stills), but I do  know in registax it will (to some extent) be able to determine how much you image has moved from one frame to the next, and adjust.

registax

This is a video of Jupiter that I stacked:

jupiter040217.jpg

• Like 1