Greyhound

Bosom Buddies was fantastic! He went to the same Community College I went to, and my 8th grade teacher was his first drama teacher. He even thanked her in one of his Oscar speeches. His son is a decent actor as well. Ran into him on a stroll through Manhattan many years ago. 

Looking forward to Greyhound, and crossing my fingers that he and Spielberg launch their Mighty 8th miniseries eventually. Band of Brothers in the air would be pretty insane. 

• Like 1

For you historical types.  The “dicky” is the code name for the HMCS Sackville, a flower class corvette.  I had a great tour of her when in Halifax for the tall ships festival.   I wouldn’t want to go in open seas against a uboat in that little thing...  the PBY at the end doing cover and sinking the last uboat was from Iceland from the squadron my dad flew with in the RCAF. It is a PBY Canso and built at Boeing in Seattle.  

A93C8817-4BA4-4DDF-9DB6-1361DB47A912.jpeg

B8BB4131-EAC7-4DB0-BC6E-10E4EF8EA543.jpeg

33C66A38-D5E5-4BB3-9770-9591926A0FD7.jpeg

27821D1A-92FE-4241-B080-1A9EE7E357D7.jpeg

1BA0C97F-D351-4BBC-AF73-FE64D1534BD1.jpeg

54F36011-7EBF-4757-83FB-EFF7A073D122.jpeg

• Like 3

Great pics Zed.  I watched Greyhound this week and it was amazing.  Seemed very accurate regarding the technology and how they navigation worked.  Such a mix of basic info and instinct.  Watching Hanks run from one side or the other of the ship and doing dead reckoning for where to go next was amazing.  I also liked the guy with the giant helmet so he could hear the comm’s.

Loved the movie.  Instinct and combo of tech and human senses. He insisted his window be clear so he could "see" what he needed in that choppy, dark morass of an ocean. And this was his "first" crossing. Training must have been pretty stinkin' good.  I also liked big helmet guy, who looked like he was 12. How even time to sneeze could be the difference between life and death. You wonder why, or what the writers may have read to feel the need to put that in there. 

Best Navy combat movie I have seen.

• Like 1

Here is a link about the HMCS Sackville.  I am not sure but the narrator might be Canadian Lorne Green who played Pa on the show Bonanza. During WW2, Green was known as the “voice of doom” as he worked for the CBC and often read war news.

The Sackville was a corvette. It was based on a whaler design. It was said it would “roll in dew.” They could be built quickly however and were fairly fast but after a week at sea the ship smelled of oil, sweat, tobacco and one was constantly wet as your gear would never fully dry from one watch to another. Greyhound would have been much more comfortable and less rocky.

Edited by Groucho
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1