SRS for IL2

WWFawlty

So my 2 cents worth of info... lol In my Modern Combat squad we use 2 forms of Comm's 1-Dicord "IE -TeamSpeak" and 2- SRS for the in game more immersive experiance the SRS is used and for Gen Comm's Discord "IE TeamSpeak"

There is No reason you can't have 2 different programs for Comm's alot of squads do it this way ... Well there ya go my 2 penny's worth I'm game for ??? I have the SRS Server up if you wan to test just Yell..

Until we're completely ready as a squad to move to a new voice comms app, I suggest we bear in mind that TeamSpeak is our current, invested in, standard. That's the platform I would expect to find the squad on for meetings or events. 

Part of my concern here is that we have too many people on too many apps and aren't actually speaking to each other. 

Yes, I'm aware that things change and progress is inevitable. Let's not jump just for the hell of it, though.

Some questions I have, and bear in mind I still don't have SRS at all so haven't been able to test any of it yet. You folks have been using it, so enlighten me...

1. Is SRS a stand-alone comms app that we can use in any simulation or gaming venue in which we find ourselves?
  2. How many people can be on the server, or a channel, at once?
  3. Can we configure the setup ourselves, or is it all strictly server based?
  4. Is SRS something that needs to be installed or finessed into every game?
  5. Can SRS be used outside a game environment?
  6. What are the limitations of the server setup, it's costs and overhead? If "free", how often are ads introduced into the equation, and how obtrusive are they? (I don't want to be on the bad side of a big furball, and have some ED audio ad blocking up the channel)

I'm sure I'll have more questions, but those seem a good start.

• Like 1

Good things to discuss at the meeting coming up soon Sandy. 

My knowledge of SR is limited so can't answer your questions.

The meeting should clear things up.

Instead of everyone talking at once, maybe someone that is familiar with the app can explain in detail, ask questions later.

Things do tend to get side tracked pretty easy.

Edited by WWFawlty
  • Like 2

Sandy, I think if i tried to answer your questions, i would screw it up...so deleted it all.

Big advantage (imho) for SRS, is say you are going to do some server raids.  You join the WarZones server.  if Warzones has an SRS server up, then you are automatically connected to that srs server when you join their mission.  You decide you don't like Warzones, so you move over to Flugpark.  If Flugpark has an SRS server up, then you are again automatically connected to their SRS server when you join their mission.

Flipside...let's say WW has a game server up and is running an SRS server as well.  We invite some DD pilots, or JG1 pilots to join our mission.  If any of those pilots have an SRS client running, they will automatically get connect to our SRS server when they join our mission.

again, imho, for groups running "events", this is going to work pretty good.  no need to make sure anyone and everyone has TS addresses and passwords.  For squads (like us), that for the most part join our own missions.....I think TS works pretty good...

ahh...I see Zed is crashing my party... 

• Like 2

Testing, using a little. It's not a replacement for TS, it's an addition to whichever game you have it installed for (it's used a lot in DCS, but I'm fairly certain it's a different version than that used by IL-2.) Distance and line-of sight limitations make it a bit more "realistic", with radio modulation effects simulating real WW2 era radio traffic. In the end, you gain more respect for the actual pilots. 

• Like 1

see attached screenshot...

If I have no profile set for my controller, when I set a hotkey in srs it shows up as a keyboard cmd...

If I have a profile for my stick loaded (which I really have to have), when I set a hotkey in srs it shows as an X52 button.

Trouble is, is none of the x52 buttons I set in srs work in srs if I have a profile loaded for my stick....only if I clear all my profiles...

srs.thumb.jpg.97d27009105285fa66841d4361ecc3e6.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

This is how I have my X56 setup I have the Throttle bottom Hat for SRS Comms and I have Voice Attack setup for the Overlay not the HOTAS...

I say Show SRS or Hide SRS and Boom Done! Overlay On or OFF... lol   The same as In DCS planes Works Great :)

IL-2_SRS Keys.jpg

Edited by WWScreamer