What aircraft is this?!

One of my Sergeant’s from down in CA is a great dude, and his Grandfather fought for the Chinese Nationalists against Mao during their civil war. He sent me this photo of his Grandfather, standing on the wing of what I assume is a trainer aircraft. I know the Chinese had Waco 240A’s, but there are no other photos to do comparisons with. Any WW’s with a better idea of aircraft ID?

8061C4D1-1610-4BFC-B426-2EF4EBF09412.jpeg

I don't think the Avro, or the 631 either.  Looks too short coupled and too slab sided for that.  Reminds me a bit of the Fleet Model 2s. 

I think that's a Kinner 5-cylinder radial.  LIke the ones the PT-22 used.  I think the Chinese had some of the Fleet Finches the British (Canucks, actually) built for trainers.  They look a lot like that. They used Kinners and Warner Scarabs and engines like that. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fleet_Finch

That's my bet.

Edited by WWGriphos
  • Like 1

Yeah, I'm pretty sure it's a Fleet and a Kinner.  Which one is open to question.  Hard to say with so little of the plane showing.  The one in the pic has a different windshield and doesn't have the fins on the side of the engine cowling.  The Finch usually has that little turtledeck cover as well. 

• Like 1

Interesting tidbit: Fleet formed the Consolidated aircraft company in 1923 after buying out a liquidating Gallaudet company and plans from the Dayton-Wright company (yep, that Wright) as it was being closed as a subsidiary of General Motors.   He eventually parted ways because he wanted the civilian aircraft company named after him to go in different directions.  Consolodated went on to make my favorite amphibian aircraft which was wonderfully modeled by a small independent team for FSX and sold by Aerosoft. 

image.png.fde8cb52f19f4755882ea82d16543797.png

image.png.22474435918419afeaade222438a412c.png

Edited by WWGriphos