C47

WWZed

That's worth a try!  Manfred Jahn, who did this one, did the C-47s for FSX.  I actually helped on that project.  I wrote the manual for it (and did the artwork to make it look antique).  It was a great plane for that sim! 

Looks like he might have ported this in a bit of a hurry though.  Reports of various game crashes on that site.

Here's another good site for addons:

https://www.msfsaddons.org/

Edited by WWGriphos
  • Like 3

44 minutes ago, WWGriphos said:

That's worth a try!  Manfred Jahn, who did this one, did the C-47s for FSX.  I actually helped on that project.  I wrote the manual for it (and did the artwork to make it look antique).  It was a great plane for that sim!

I had no idea Griph! That was one of my favorite add-on’s. 

That team pored a lot of love into that plane.  I was one of the alpha and beta testers for it as well.  Most of the testers had Dakota or DC-3 stick time, so they knew their stuff.  It was fun working with that group.  I flew the heck out of the plane, all over Alaska and Canada and Australia and even the Seychelles in FSEconomy. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 9/5/2020 at 10:58 PM, WWGriphos said:

Looks like he might have ported this in a bit of a hurry though.  Reports of various game crashes on that site.

Good morning gents, first post on this site. Took me awful long to find the name of the mascot, but got there in the end with a bit of sleuthing.🙂

On a slightly sourer note: 🙁 (beginning to learn this emoji business, at my age!) my name is Manfred Jahn. I was and still am, responsible for the exterior model of the FSX and P3D C-47 and its many variants, and a lot of other stuff such as the interactive vocal checklist. So I suppose I am the one who should answer the challenge in the quote.

The truth is, I was wholly disgusted to see the Dak being offered as an unauthorized, pirated, and dysfunctional download at the site mentioned here. I tried to get it removed from their server, did not even get a reply. I posted on their C-47 thread, they filtered me out. So I made a public complaint about it at fsdeveloper, flightsim, and avsim, and you can read all about it here:  

https://www.avsim.com/forums/topic/583753-msfs-portover-piracy

I have now stopped modeling for good, not least because of this affair, but it may be a consolation for MSFSers to know that I and Jan (Visser) have passed the source files on to a developer at Sim Outhouse, so a native MSFS version is still a possibility, in the forseeable future, though sadly it will be without my input.    

Cheers, and apologies for the rant! 

-- Manfred

• Thanks 1

ok, this got my attention.

At first, I thought the above post was all a quote...assumed it was from Zed, then realized it was from Manfred Jahn.   So, am going to assume who ever downloaded his file did so without a VPN, and Manfred is tracking them down????

Not that I blame  him.  I posted a "find" a while back on IL2 forum, and someone turned into a mod without giving me any credit what so ever, and it took me days to get over it.....

Sorry, to clarify, MSFSAddon took the C-47 down after I complained about it, so they are okay as far as I am concerned. It is the site identified in my avsim link that continues to offer the unauthorized portover and ignores posts or mails. 

--Manfred

Ah, well that whole situation sucks. I was quite tickled to find M. Jahn's C-47 available for MSFS2020. I had a lot of fun flying that in FSX, especially after getting some input from our own WWWringer who was occasionally flying a  Dakota for Canadian Heritage Museum. One of my favorite photos of Ian (Wringer) was him leaning out the cockpit window of a Lancaster, a flight he was extremely proud to make (his father flew Lancs in WW2.) He's since passed, sadly enough. But I still remember his excitement about M. Jahn's C-47 model in FSX. 

But now seeing it was an unauthorized port-over, I'll be removing it from my system and waiting for Sim Out House to post an authorized version. 

Nice to hear from you Manfred.  So sad to hear this wasn't an authorized port after all.  As I've said to you directly, this original creation was a labor of love, and a significant labor at that, and to see it propagated in a form that only causes problems is quite disturbing for those involved in that labor, I imagine.  A real shame.  Sorry to have played some role in propagating the idea it was authorized. 

I won't be using that site listed above for anything, nor will they get any ad revenue from me since I won't visit it again. 

Nice to hear that your and Jan's work might still see the light of MSFS day at some point.  That will be a nice day should it happen.