Slew upgrade for TM Warthog

WWChunk

I’ve been doing a lot of practice in the Hog lately, and my fat thumb makes things more difficult than they should be with the slew. I also need to replace the right side fuel switch because I broke that. Thrustmaster’s customer service department leaves a lot to be desired as far as getting back to me on that. 

Yeah, it’s a little more spendy than I’d like. He does a pinky switch replacement to that shitty part as well. 

FWIW, I’m still waiting on a response from Thrustmaster support in regards to replacing a switch that I broke. I wish their support was on par with CH back in the day, especially when the CH-Hangar was around. What a resource that was. 

• Like 1

I ordered the slew upgrade and the pinky switch. I’m sure it’ll be several weeks until I receive them, but I’ll let y’all know how it turns out. Also, TM finally got back to me and instead of selling individual switches, they sell PCB’s that include various switches. So I have a right side throttle PCB en route as well. I believe that’ll be a lot easier than breaking the soldering iron out. Worst case scenario; I’ll have a real expensive paper weight...

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Well, TM shipped the right side PCB, and sure as shit, it’s not plug and play. There are ten total connections that I believe go to the LED’s for each switch. It’s also going to be more difficult to remove that I remember, but I’m game to give it a go. I have a soldering iron and just ordered some 0.5mm 60/40 solder and flux. Been practicing on some old boards because it has been a long time since I’ve done any type of circuit soldering. 

89A008BC-EB3A-45F3-97BB-592ED1BF4305.jpeg

6B2B282C-D978-4A24-9BB0-2A4FEB908BC0.jpeg

154A674C-F2A1-414D-A7F0-FC72CFC5942E.jpeg

YIkes!  That looks complicated!  Looking forward to hearing/seeing how it goes. 

I got the Honeycomb Alpha yoke in this week and got it set up today.  For MSFS.  I'm not sure what I think, actually.  It's got very stiff springs or bungee cords or something on the pitch axis.  Nicely built, though. 

I’ll post some pics after I get her disassembled. Then hopefully some successful after I get it soldered and working again pictures...no doubt accompanied by me in a full on flop sweat!

Is the axis smooth on the Honeycomb smooth, or gritty like the ones I’ve tried from CH and Saitek?

She’s up and running, good as new! Took about two hours. I only got two photos of the before, then I was so concentrated on soldering that I neglected to take pictures of the after. The solder joints work perfectly, and no one can see them. but they could’ve looked better...

Photo #1 is the “fuck it, I’m cutting the wires for the LED’s and I’ll figure it out later” shot  

Photo #2 is with the board out of its place and me thinking that I better not have gone beyond my skill level. 

FD549441-FDBE-4C85-A911-E0557E26FE4A.jpeg

0904993F-1F35-4BD2-833F-D5F8EC23E6F4.jpeg

• Like 1

14 hours ago, WWChunk said:

I’ll post some pics after I get her disassembled. Then hopefully some successful after I get it soldered and working again pictures...no doubt accompanied by me in a full on flop sweat!

Is the axis smooth on the Honeycomb smooth, or gritty like the ones I’ve tried from CH and Saitek?

It's smooth.  Just takes quite a bit of force.  Works agaisnt one-handed control when landing, which is almost always the way I fly, since I'm modulating throttle with the other hand to manage the glide slope. 

Post some pics of the finished result!  Good work on an intimidating job!

I’ve heard it was beefy as far as the force needed to move it. Glad it’s smooth though. I hate grit in any type of joystick/yoke. First joystick I ever bought was some cheapy from Computer City that felt like the gimbal was made of sand. 

I didn’t get any after pics of the new board in place, was concentrating on getting the whole thing buttoned up. The right fuel flow switch isn’t flaccid anymore, mission accomplished! :)

• Like 1

No, I meant the new slew button.  That's what you changed, right?  Have you tried it out on a TDC in DCS yet?

Is that the Virpil mount?  I'm thinking about getting a dedicated gaming desk and some mounts for my VKB stick and the Warthog.  Any suggestions?  I'm looking at the Monstertech mounts.  Can't seem to find the Foxx Mounts anywhere.  The website just says "coming soon." 

Edited by WWGriphos

Ohhhh!!! No, this was a replacement of the right PCB board because I broke a toggle switch on the throttle base. 

The slew upgrade and the pinky switch is currently en route from the UK. That should be a much less painful install, and I’ll take photos after those are done. 

I imagine you saw the photo of the throttle and thought, “Well Ron, I could’ve looked up a stock photo of the throttle all on my own.” 🤣

• Haha 1