New build approaching

WWSandMan

S!

I will not be flying Thursday this week... I expect to have computer parts lying all over as I gut my current box and re-assemble it with new hardware.

I'm an Intel/Asus/NVidia guy. My current system is an i7-2600K, o/c to 4.5 with air cooling (Noctua is effing amazing for this task) on an Asus P8Z68-V mainboard. This setup has lasted me roughly ten years, admittedly with MANY individual part upgrades over the years. The latest was just a while ago, where I maxed out the RAM to 32GB DDR-3 (amazing to see how many apps easily went past my prior 16gb,) I heartily suggest that 32GB is the new baseline minimum RAM.

The new build will use many of my original parts, including the ThermalTake case, 850w power supply, and as many of my existing SSD's and HDD's as I can mount. And, unfortunately, my new system will have to suffer the indignity of running my old EVGA NVidia 1070 card for pixel-pushing. I wanted to include an NVidia 3080 (or 3070 if I had to drop down a notch) but it's nearly impossible to get an actual NVidia Founder's Edition (baseline) 3080 card. I've been seeing lots of issues with 3rd party cards (EVGA, MSI, et al) with their capacitor placement causing heat issues.  So... the 1070 will have to soldier on for a while.

Oh... what's that? You want to know the juicy details of the parts going in? Okay. Here's the new goodies list:

• Intel i9-10900K processor (delivered)
  • NZXT Kraken X63 CPU Liquid Cooler (delivered) 
  • Asus ROG Maximus XII Hero (WiFi) Z490 LGA1200 mainboard (coming tomorrow)
  • 32GB HyperX FURY (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3200 (PC4 25600) (coming Thursday) EDIT Wishful effing thinking! No idea when this vital little bit will show up!
  • Samsung 1TB 970 EVO Plus NVMe M.2 Internal SSD (3500MB/s Read, 3300MB/s Write) (coming Saturday)

I expect the next several days to be all about backing up, re-jigging, downloading and re-installing. 

Not sure what I'll be doing with the old parts and pieces just yet. Maybe use it for a server box. Can run VMWare on it, hmm... 

• Like 3

Well, maybe I'll hold off on disassembling my current machine ... The RAM and the M.2 SSD both shipped separately from their main orders (in stock, small items?) and were sent via UPS to: the vaunted US Postal Service. One has been in Minnesota for five days so far, and still hasn't made it to my home. I have no idea when it will arrive. The other is indicating Saturday before it gets here. I wish the companies I ordered from had put things into one damn box each instead of several.

I absolutely HATE that UPS drops it's small packages to the Post Office. One of the companies I ordered from (coughNewEggcough) shows the product delivered on 9-27 (Sunday!)  ... Yet it's showing in USPS as still awaiting sort info. WTF?

Neither of these was an Amazon order, which I have learned to despise for their dropping of Fed Ex and turning to their own transport system and the USPS. Rarely do I receive an item from them in the expected Prime delivery window, simply because it's the Postal Service doing the deliveries. Good on Amazon for making the USPS so busy it can't handle tiny packages from sources other than Amazon. I'll be dropping Prime soon, I think. I get much better service ordering direct from manufacturers when possible. And I'll need to start calling places like New Egg to ensure they put my stuff into one box, not several.

Thanks, Griph. Just excited to get it put together, but hampered by "Mail Innovations" having lost my DDR4 RAM. I don't have more of that stuff just lying around. Have DDR3 coming out of my ears, but the manual for the motherboard specifically states "do not put DDR 1, 2 or 3 modules into a DDR 4 system." Okaaaay then, I won't. (dangit) 

So I'm in limbo until the RAM shows up. Either as a replacement from the retailer (Adorama, who now have my solid desire to use only UPS and not "Mail Innovations" for all my purchases there) or when the original order shows up. I'm hoping I get the replacement, then in about a month the original will show up in a mooshed up envelope, but the sticks will still be straight. Instant doubling of RAM! :)  

Meanwhile, in a corner near me, sit these boxes...

IMG_7532.thumb.jpg.8e1b984185999d757b2f39ef5c6bad4b.jpg

• Like 1

Exciting stuff Sandy !!!  I think it will be interesting to see how a new processor and DDR4 ram affects the performance of the sims you are using, so, it is kinda cool you will

be using your exisiting 1070 gpu.  I bet it will be a blazing machine----- looking forward to seeing it completed and hearing how you like its performance!!!  

• Like 1

WhooHoo ... my 1TB M.2 drive is here, and the RAM is scheduled to arrive tomorrow! (the missing M.2 drive was located at the post office sort facility in the Twin Cities... apparently squished in a corner of a cargo box! The envelope was pretty mangled - it was about 30 times bigger than it needed to be, and looked like a ball of waste paper - but the little box containing the drive itself was intact with no visible damage at all to the card.)

Heading out tonight to pick up a smaller used desk (the one I've been using is a monster, far more than what I want or need (it was a freebie from when that was exactly what I could afford) and completely reconfigure my office/part-time virtual cockpit. I'll put everything in place and then start the rebuild in earnest tomorrow, waiting impatiently for the mailman to arrive with the little bundle of RAM modules.

So I'll have this kick-ass high-horsepower beast crunching the code and sending lightning to a tired old 1070 card ... Because nobody is getting a new NVidia card until at least the end of October. All the 3090 and 3080 have sold out, and the 3070 release was pushed back to the end of October so that manufacturing might have a chance to keep pace with demand. 

I looked at some of the 2070 and 2080 cards out there, but the price on those isn't dropping at all. They still sell for nearly the same amount -in some cases more- than the 30xx series cards. It's crazy! 

Anyway... I'm going to start unplugging my dear old i7 2600K powered machine. I may have to frame that CPU ... Ten years it's been rock solid, and is only being replaced because it's so out-classed by modern units. And the motherboard is starting to give out (3 of the 6 SATA ports are now dead.) So I'd rather see the CPU enshrined than burned up from a motherboard failure. 

"We're off to see the wizard... "

• Like 3

Okay... So, a few distractions later. Sitting here staring at a box missing one component, that... Go figure... The USPS has failed to deliver. The RAM.

Check up on the delivery. Package was supposed to deliver today. By 8pm, so technically there's still time. 

However. The "informed delivery" app tells me my package was in Brainerd, MN, at 930 this morning. No effing clue why it wound up three hours north of me.

Absolutely floors me how someone in the post office could figure that sending a package to Mankato, from St Paul (90 miles north-northeast of Mankato) via Brainerd (175 miles due north of Mankato) was a good idea. At the very least Brainerd was 85 miles in the opposite direction. 

Screenshot_20201003-162432.thumb.png.d59ad23d1ea154863e25804b5ecc3696.png

~~~

On a better note... Despite having to do some creative (and hopefully effective) MacGuyvering on my old case (yeah, it's old enough I don't even have USB 3 outputs on it), I got the new doodads installed. 

Because of a space issue, I had to put one of the water cooler fans outside the case on top of the radiator. All because one corner of a fan intruded upon the output block of the motherboard, by about a quarter inch. Grrr. 

PXL_20201003_211659715.thumb.jpg.f821ea0e511810fece3bab162869973e.jpg

Don't fuss at me about cable management. I know I suck at that, lol. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, WWSittingduck said:

is that your HAND I see on top of the water cooler????  (thumb and white cuff...)

Yeah, the center of the cooler has a mirror finish. The first couple tries at grabbing a quick shot with my phone resulted in seeing myself, lol. Apparently it lights up, but I could care less about lights in my pc box. 

Psssst... It's working. :)

Doing some final setup things. Thank you Acronis for providing me the ability to clone my system drive onto the NVMe M.2 SSD from a normal SSD, and it didn't cost me a cent. And it took less than five minutes to clone/transfer about 300gb of data (gotta love SSD's.)  

And thanks to  ... I almost hate to say this ... but, thanks to Kinguin for a cheap ($35 is cheap enough) Win 10 Pro activation code. I don't have to re-install every-effing-thing, and I'm 100% activated and Microsoft legal! :peace:

Okay... now to turn on all those other drives. I might just be flying tomorrow night! 

• Like 3

Well, first major issue with the new build. Went away yesterday for that family photo shoot, put the computer in sleep mode so I could jump right in to editing photos. 

When I got back, the bios screen was up. 

That's a bit odd, I thought. So I exited bios without saving changes. 

Would not boot up. 

On going though the bios at the next boot attempt, I noticed that not only was my nvme boot drive not showing, none of my drives were showing up. 

I'm currently in conversations with Asus support. Once we go through all the hoops, I'm guessing I'll have to RMA the motherboard, or at the minimum ship it to Atlanta where their repair facility is. 

So, in the short run, I'm grounded. 

• Sad 2

Not seeing much in the way of assistance from either Asus (who blames Samsung, the nvme m2 supplier) or from Samsung, who says if the drive can be accessed as a data drive (once booted via a sata  SSD, the nvme m2 becomes visible) it should be able to be set up as a boot drive. Which it was, initially. 

Anyway, I'm to the point of using one of my old 500gb sata ssd drives as boot, get  my bazillion things reinstalled, then see what the fuck the issue is between the m2 and this motherboard. I am truly frustrated, especially since it was all working as intended. 

Anyway, still grounded. Have plans this weekend doing real life stuff, so may not have a lot of time to devote to rebuilding OS  and reinstalling. 

On 10/2/2020 at 6:35 PM, WWSandMan said:

...(the missing M.2 drive was located at the post office sort facility in the Twin Cities... apparently squished in a corner of a cargo box! The envelope was pretty mangled - it was about 30 times bigger than it needed to be, and looked like a ball of waste paper - but the little box containing the drive itself was intact with no visible damage at all to the card.)

Well, maybe that was wishful thinking. I'm in the process of reinstalling everything, but using a standard SSD and the sata ports. The Samsung Evo Plus 1TB Nvme M. 2 drive no longer responds at all.

The rest of the machine is working great, and I just got notification my new monitor is on its way. Hopefully I'll have all the software back in place in time to fly Sunday evening.