New build approaching

WWSandMan

I'm still trying to figure out the Nvme M.2 drive issue (I'm thinking the Samsung 970 Evo Plus is dead, but I'm getting nowhere with Samsung support on it.) May have to bite the bullet and buy something else, then go through the clone/move thing again. Running off standard SATA SSD drives is still fast, but those m.2 drives are soooo much faster. Like three times as fast as SATA ... which is simply insane. 

Flew the new rig for the first time last night, including the spanky new Dell S2721DGF monitor (that showed up in the middle of a snow storm, glad Meghan has been working from home so she could pull it indoors!) The most obvious improvement was the monitor itself. I was able to see dots sharply many km away, and follow the fight with ease. What a world of difference it made! My only gripe was a weird bloom around things like wingtip lights, flaming aircraft and bomb explosions. I'm guessing that's a setting I need to dial down somewhere. But the rest of the experience of flying last night was great. I thought the increased resolution (running 2560x1440 at 120hz) might make things too small (which text is, admittedly) but everything was sharp and clear with no stutter and no tearing.  I ran everything at max within IL-2, and the machine gobbled it up like nobody's business. 

So it's mostly complete, running and I'm a happy camper. There's always a "but" though ... and mine is the video card. My current EVGA NVidia 1070 is absolutely maxed out and then some trying to keep pace with the processor. I'm running an app that came with the NZXT water cooler called "NZXT Cam", which is basically a system monitoring app. Watching CPU, GPU and memory utilization while flying tonight made it clear the 1070 card is the obvious roadblock to best possible performance. CPU was barely doing anything, running at about 5% while flying, and rarely above 30 degrees C.. Mem usage was at about 25% with all my background stuff running. But the GPU (video card) was constantly at 95-100% and was nearing 70 degrees C on occasion. It was HOT. 

Arma3 runs smooth as butter, but again maxes out the video card. DCS sucks every bit of RAM I have (the only app I have that has used 100% of the 32GB of DDR4), but runs very smoothly, again uses 100% of the video card. And this monitor is soooo much more color-correct than my old one, now I'm going to have to go back and revisit all my photos to see what they really look like! 

So while I'll need to dial back settings a bit to avoid killing the video card, I'll be saving my pennies to buy a 3070 (or maybe a 3080) card whenever they become available. After getting the new video card and fixing the NVME M.2 drive issue, I'll call it complete. :)

• Like 3