Joystick mounts/stands

WWSandMan

Virpil mounts for the joystick and throttle. I went with them for three reasons. One they fit my Virpil joystick base because it’s made for it, they also fit the warthog throttle because they make an adapter plate for it, and finally, they were available. That last part seems to be the biggest issue with any mount nowadays. I highly recommend any type of mount. 

• Like 1

Currently, I'm using some plywood platforms that slot into the slightly opened drawer of my little walnut desk (from a Ft. Worth hotel in 1910). You can see a bit of it here:

That works well enough because my gear is heavy.  But I'm looking to get a dedicated gaming desk like the one below.  And then I'm thinking about the Monstertech mounts.  One for the Warthog, and one for the stick. 

image.thumb.png.99ca43cbc84ae88b3646672dfb18b5a8.png

Edited by WWGriphos
  • Like 1

That’s a great desk, and I want that monitor, about twice the size though!

I bought the worst named IKEA desk ever, the Jerker, but it also happens to be the best desk I have ever owned. Tons of real estate and slots to add arms and shelving on both sides. But damn, that name.

spacer.png

• Like 2

7 hours ago, WWGriphos said:

Apparently, this desk is discontinued.  That's too bad.  Looks like a great desk. 

I'm sure it's pronounced "Yuurker"  🙂

Man you took all the jocularity out of that one Griph😄 Do we still have the original post, might be worthwhile checking it out, you know for shits and giggles....

• Haha 1

I bought the Honeycomb Alpha yoke.  I've tried it out for about 5 days.  I like everything about it except the pitch resistance.  It's too stiff.  Might be fine for folks that don't ever really fly, but I don't want to train bad muscle memory. 

Anyway, before sending it back to Newegg, which is already sold out again, I thought I'd offer it to anyone here that has been wanting one and has missed out on the narrow windows when it's in stock. 

well I was using google, my table actually looks like this ( but still beautiful).   As an old draftsman, I like the high stool with a foot rest.  Got that on Craig's list years ago.  All aluminum  from a company called "Goodform"....built aircraft frames during ww2.   I fit up the table with a little platform for the rudder pedals.   Besides a pulley overhead to manage the VR cables,  nice big play surface.

dog is optional.

image.thumb.png.31d6c19fb66ce22607287a1b35daf3fd.png

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

Re-visiting this topic: 

I have recently acquired a Predator Mount for my TM Warthog joystick. I had finally gotten tired of reaching Waaaaaayyyy Ovvvvvvver Therrrrrrre for my damn stick. It has a lock system that needs serious muscle to set in place, and does so with the greatest gusto. This bastard ain't moving.

But.

I have it mounted in such a way that the heaviest forces I exert in it are 90 degrees off the main axis of support. And the damn thing came apart on me tonight. Good thing the lady of the house was out for the evening, 'cause she may have heard things that even the saltiest ladies haven't heard. 

Here's the deal: I really like my L-shaped (garage sale, $25) desk, and it's custom keyboard holder. For a couple years now, I've simply screwed my TM WartHog joystick base to the desktop at the corner of the L. It's worked, was effing stable as as a mountain, but was uncomfortable at best to fly with. That's when I found Predator Mounts. They make a rail system that can conform to nearly every possible mounting situation. Even mine... And it works great, putting the stick exactly where I want it, without me sacrificing my keyboard shelf or anything else. 

Here's what it looks like tonight: 

PXL_20230118_044314221.thumb.jpg.f56566cda7969b774b313217d0712b7a.jpg

Notice the horizontal bar holding the joystick base is just above my keyboard tray?? Perfect! 

Except...

I managed to twist the joystick's horizontal base off the vertical desk mount tonight. That did piss me off. It cost me valuable flight time with my squadron on our main flight night. I was a little less than calm. But... you folks have taught me it's better to be nice than bitter. 

After DM'ing the gent in charge of Predator, I have two new mount plugs and an 8" T-handle tool inbound (free of charge) with which to make the necessary changes to ensure the unit I purchased is 100% secure from even monkeys like me wrenching the pieces apart.

Now all I need to figure out is how to mount the throttle base off the desktop, and over the keyboard tray, parallel to the joystick. 

... and how to keep that dang glass filled with a dram of either Ardbeg or Lagavullin single-malt Scotch whiskey. 

PXL_20230118_061220565.thumb.jpg.1fa7778fb072af3134290455550ac21e.jpg

• Like 1

Pretty easy fix actually if I understand the problem.

I had the same issue with my Mesa mount, the joystick was 180 deg out.

Remove the joy handle from the base (huge lug nut underneath the actual stick. Look in the base, you will see a cross-shaped plate held in place be (2)? screws and the Center contacts for the stick. Carefully remove the screws, rotate the cross-plate as required, put the screws back in, put the handle back on. Mine was out 180 deg when I put the 6” extension on.

I’m not sure I’d you can rotate it 90 deg though, but certainly 180 deg

• Thanks 1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LpM8jwVFXZ0

These once young men are old men now. What they did, what they saw, what they sacrificed, are now just moments in tiime, and are never going away. Most of the routine  memories of the rides in trucks, and tanks,  and training drills, and daily routines are lost to time. Not the loss of buddies, and the hardships.

These men, now slow of movement, slow of understanding at times, are the men who young people, and not so young people, get irritated at, waiting in line behind them in the grocery store line, as these seniors try to hear what the gum chewing, soft talking cashiers are saying. people who roll their eyes, as they are asked for the 2nd time to 'say that again?', while he struggles to get something done that wasnt so much trouble when his wife was still alive. She's gone now, those people waiting for him to get done, and move on, dont know, dont care, that he was one of the young warriors who went to war across oceans, to save the world from evil. 

Im kinda rambling now, but John Prines song 'Hello in There' comes to mind. Too many people curse, and honk their horns, at old men trying to cross the street, likely in pain, before the light changes for the cross traffic cars who cant stand waiting for him to 'hurry up' ir lives.so they can enjoy their lives. 

13 hours ago, WWPlague said:

Im kinda rambling now, but John Prines song 'Hello in There' comes to mind. Too many people curse, and honk their horns, at old men trying to cross the street, likely in pain, before the light changes for the cross traffic cars who cant stand waiting for him to 'hurry up' ir lives.so they can enjoy their lives. 

Hello in there! :)

• Like 1