Gunsights

WWCraven

Never was much of a fan of the way the gun sights were colored up, I always found them to be too light and easy to lose focus on the bead when your head is shifting around. I found someone over on the GB forums that made a couple of mods for the British Mk-II, US L-3 and N-3 reticles. There's also another fellow that made some for the German revi's that I've also been using.

While these are "mods" you can actually use them without having to activate the mods on/off nonsense by placing them in the proper folders.

Here's an example of the Mk-II reticle on the Hurri.

Hurri Old MkII GS.jpg

Hurri New MkII Gunsight.jpg

• Like 1

Link here for the German revi's https://forum.il2sturmovik.com/topic/40764-effedb-mod-german-revi_c12-and-revi_16a-gunsights/

Link for the Mk-II reticle https://forum.il2sturmovik.com/topic/39068-mod-mk-ii-hd-gunsight/

The others this fellow above made are below this post.

If I could figure out how to get the original sights I'd have a go at re-doing the rest of the sights, need to think on this a bit.

Took a bit of head scratching on my part at first but these are the steps.

1. Take the dds and any tga files and place them in the data/graphics/textures/common folder
  2. Take the dds file for the appropriate gs and place it in the data/graphics/Planes/yourplane/textures folder.

And voila, they should work.  Unfortunately you can't use them to replace the reticles in planes not listed by the author, i.e. neither the L-3 or N-3 US reticles will work on the P-51 as it's a different type of sight (Mk-8).  The MkII sight seems to work on all the British aircraft.  I haven't played around a lot with the Revi's as I just have one of the variants that I like and use exclusively, but there is something in the file naming convention that suggests you have to change/save the name of the revi you choose to the c12 version. Notes from the author here;

You can also use a different gunsight for each airplane. 
For example: 
1.  make a copy of  Revi_16a.dds  in C:\...\Data\graphics\textures\common\
2.  and put it in C:\...\data\graphics\Planes\Bf109E7\Textures\
3.  finally rename this file as Revi_c12.dds

4.  make a copy of  Revi_16b.dds  in C:\...\Data\graphics\textures\common\
5.  and put it in C:\...\data\graphics\Planes\Bf109F2\Textures\
6.  finally rename this file as Revi_c12.dds

Hope this helps.

• Thanks 1