(NVidia) Dub Too Dumb...

... To figure out how to use the NVidia recording tool in IL2... Something broke the Fraps .AVI codec during a recent windows update, and I can't get anything to show .AVI vids made by Fraps (VLC, Divx, WMP, etc).

I'm trying to use the NVidia Experience tool to record tracks, but it keeps telling me that the game is not supported. May I have one of you folks familiar with how it works in IL2 set me on the right track? I see other folks have gotten it to work, but not finding any help - prolly searching with the wrong keywords or something. 

• WWDubya changed the title to (NVidia) Dub Too Dumb...

S!

Yeah, I use it frequently. But it's not something necessarily set per game, it's a pervasive thing that can capture desktop actions as well. 

Be sure to install the NVidia GeForce Experience app, and set up an account with NVidia (not sure if it's required to be logged in, but I've set mine to automatically log-in and system startup.) 

https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/geforce-experience/

Now, IL-2 doesn't show up in the games that the Geforce Experience will automatically optimize settings for (dependant on GPU, etc.). On my system, only Arma3 , Asetto Corsa and MSFS 2020 show up ion that section. But that doesn't mean the Overlay and screen-grab/video-grab functions don't work. You simply have to set up hot-keys to turn those functions on and off. 

Go to Settings (gear icon) - General - In-Game Overlay (ensure it's turned on) - Settings - then find your way through the various options. "Keyboard Shortcuts" will be where you set your hot-keys; "Recordings" will be where you set the folders in which to save the files (my defaulted to Videos, which means that in File Explorer, all my screenshots and videos are saved in sub-folders (generated by game) in my "C:\Users\<me>\Videos" folder. You can use the "Recordings" menu to change the file save location. 

Then you're set. Check to ensure that it records your mic if capturing in-game stuff, but remember to mute your mic if making a movie from an in-game track (else you'll hear yourself breathing and farting, etc. in the resulting video.) 

Ah, the Ansel mode, or in-game camera thing is only available on "supported games" (those few I have), but IL-2 isn't one. So you only get screen-shot or video capture, not enhanced post processing to make the images prettier.

I used it last night and it worked okay for me.  Not sure i like it as much as the in game method as you can't change views while replaying the video, does record sound though which is kinda neat.

You should be able to do tracks, then use the nvidia tool to record the track action in smaller chunks and in different views. What I did with fraps.

2 hours ago, WWDubya said:

You should be able to do tracks, then use the nvidia tool to record the track action in smaller chunks and in different views. What I did with fraps.

You can do exactly that. You lose the TS voice recordings though. Otherwise you can replay your track files and record multiple videos. The overlay needs to remain on. 

Think I may have corrected the NVidia tool issue, but it looks like I have other problems... No .AVI will play on my desktop an any player (WMP, DivX, VLC, etc). In some players I can get sound, but no video; in others, just a silent black screen. All other video formats seem to work OK. Trying all the fixes found in Google, MS support, NVidia, elsewhere.

For the time being, I'm out of video editing action until I can figure this stuff out. Sorry guys.