Jumping back into the cockpit with new handle......was, WWPerc

WWPerc

Its been almost 20 years since I stopped flying.  Lots has happened and sadly I see a lot of lost WW pilots over the years.  But, also see a LOT of names still familiar to me...

Anyway, just got a new PC, pulled out and dusted off my flight gear(hope it still works after all these years) and reading about which games you guys are involved in.

Salute~

WWRhythm

• Like 1

S! Welcome back, WWRythm!

Yank Crew (spelling error) == Tank Crew (part of the IL-2 Great Battles system.)

I highly suggest you get all of the Great Battles map areas (Battle of Moscow, Kuban, Bodenplatte, Stalingrad, etc.) because we fly on any given map each week. Be sure to pick up Flying Circus for a weekly dose of WW1 flying. Tank Crew is available also, if you happen to enjoy a WW2 armor sim, though we don't -as a squad- spend any time with it. Several squad members do own it and enjoy hunting the other side's tanks.

Rise of Flight was the predecessor to Flying Circus ... Not saying it isn't still a cool and flyable sim, and certainly has more content than Flying Circus currently has, but FC will soon see a version 2 (it's available for pre-order now - recommended!) that will greatly add to the plane list and available map areas. FC is what we fly as a squad now. Personally, I don't even have RoF on my system any more. 

You don't have to own the maps to fly with us.  You do if you want to fly them offline.  You can fly any map in multiplayer whether you own it or not.  So, I'd just by the series with the planes that interest you, unless you want to fly a particular map offline.

For offline flying, I think the Kuban map is the best.  Very scenic with lots of good battle possiblities.  Moscow and to some extent Stalingrad are just so much flat ground stretching forever.  I don't think I've flown the Bodenplatte map, although I do own it.  But, again, each map comes with a set of planes, and I'd go with the set you like the most.  We probably fly the Bf 109 F-4 (Stalingrad), the Fw-190 A-5 (Kuban), Bf 110-G2 (Kuban) the most.  The Fw-190 A-3 collector plane is fairly popular as well.  Bodenplatte has a couple of American planes (P-51, P-47) and a Spit, and an A-8.  If you buy the collector edition, you also get a P-38 and a Dora-9, and the first jet aircraft (Me-262), so that might be worth a look. 

I think Flying Circus is definitely worth it. 

On 1/2/2021 at 4:02 PM, WWRhythm said:

Its been almost 20 years since I stopped flying.  Lots has happened and sadly I see a lot of lost WW pilots over the years.  But, also see a LOT of names still familiar to me...

Anyway, just got a new PC, pulled out and dusted off my flight gear(hope it still works after all these years) and reading about which games you guys are involved in.

Salute~

WWRhythm

Well look what the Goober drug back in!?!

...Ha! Just messin'...or should I have put a "Ba-Dum-Psssh" at the end? 😄

Welcome back!

S!

Been great!! Just moved from born-and-raised Bay Area California to Middle Tennessee!

...still diggin' parts out of boxes tryna' get settled in.

You? Whatcha been doin with yourself for 20 years? Well, not too detailed now.... *chuckle*

I'm just surviving. retired almost 5 years ago.  Dealing with old age, health issues from abusing myself for a lifetime, grandkids etc.  

Was looking forward to getting msfs2020 and decided to get back to flying.  Dug out my pedals, joystick etc from 20 years ago and hoping I can get everything to work so I can blow myself up on takeoff like I did last time I tried!  :)

I hear ya' on the lifetime of abuse.... I've failed to do myself many a favor over the years as well. Although I did kick a 35+ year smoking habit at the end of 2013.... so there's that.....

Just sold my 1200 sq.ft. California home for three times what I paid for it....took half that money, and bought an 1800 sq.ft. home here in Middle Tennessee.

....love it here already! Beautiful state (arrived right at the end of fall colors)..I will certainly THRIVE here!! Just seeing all the green (not dead California brown, or burnt black) makes me happy!!

I too just dug out all my old CH HOTAS gear a few months back and got back into flying...they worked just as good as the day I bought them. You should be fine.

I see you just got Rise of Flight! You'll like the sim...its BEEEAAAUUTTIFUL!! (compared to what we're used to) ...and a flight model leaps and bounds from the old Red Baron 3D!!!

However, as Craven mentioned, we're primarily flying  IL2 Sturmovik Great Battles -- if you use Steam, buying it there will help ensure you are up to date with patches and what-not....

the World War 1 side of IL2 is called FLYING CIRCUS 1 and 2 and they are basically just "plug ins" to IL2 as an add-on. ( think of it as all one giant sim) 

...if you need help getting all set up, or just have questions on what to get....shoot me a message.

[edit] -- buying from Steam does NOT lock you in to having to always or ONLY buy from Steam. You'll create an "il2 account" either way you buy, and any additional titles you buy ( from steam or 1C website) will be applied to that account.

Edited by WWBrian
additional note

13 minutes ago, WWBrian said:

However, as Craven mentioned, we're primarily flying  IL2 Sturmovik Great Battles -- if you use Steam, buying it there will help ensure you are up to date with patches and what-not....

the World War 1 side of IL2 is called FLYING CIRCUS 1 and 2 and they are basically just "plug ins" to IL2 as an add-on. ( think of it as all one giant sim) 

...if you need help getting all set up, or just have questions on what to get....shoot me a message.

[edit] -- buying from Steam does NOT lock you in to having to always or ONLY buy from Steam. You'll create an "il2 account" either way you buy, and any additional titles you buy ( from steam or 1C website) will be applied to that account.

I am currently dl'g flying circus 1.  will that get me up in the air.....or do I have to also have IL2 Sturmovik Great Battles?

IL-2 Sturmovik: Flying Circus - Volume I is part of the IL-2 Great Battles series of products and can be played as a separate stand-alone product or be integrated with other Great Battles titles such as Battle of Stalingrad, Battle of Moscow, Battle of Kuban and Battle of Bodenplatte. Combine all titles to create one big WWI and WWII air and ground combat simulation.

Just now, WWRhythm said:

Thanks gentleman.  I'll start with FC1 ans see how that goes to work out the kinks.

I recommend starting out with most (if not all) helpers turned on.....then clicking them off one-by-one as you learn each system....

....lest you become too overwhelmed at the start.

3 hours ago, WWSittingduck said:

Rhythm, in addition to all the pilots who are thrilled to see you back, there are a bunch of pilots dying to meet you, so next chance you get (tuesday?), jump on TS so we can get properly introduced!

I'll try to make it.  Have to figure out teamspeak and see if I can find my old comm gear.

• Like 1