Bluetooth Headsets

WWDarkdiz

Anyone besides me using a BT headset (mine is a Bose Quiet Comfort 35)?

How is it working for you? I'm having a whole lot of issues with mine, but reading the forums in various places on the net, seems its a Bose QC35 problem (doesn't play nice with PC)?

Issues are sound randomly dropping out, if sound could be "pixelated" this is what I get (seems that not all of the audio is being seen by the headset, the audio sounds very low-sample-rate digital, not pleasing at all).

I hooked up my wired headset, sound issues go away, I get decent sound.  Problem is, this is a wired system, I would prefer to be wireless, which obviously BT is.

Any thoughts?

I had a 2.4ghz corsair unit I used for racing a while back Diz. Like you it kept dropping out and in the middle of a race it wasn't good. I tried different receiver locations, usb2 usb3, didn't matter, very unstable so I gave up.

I use Creative BT earphones for my LG oled TV and it's never dropped.

Hit and miss I'd say

Edited by WWFawlty

1 hour ago, WWChunk said:

I use the Bose headphones for trips, or to watch TV at extreme volume at night. I don’t really like wireless gear for PC...mice, keyboards, etc. They’re great headphones otherwise. 

I think you are right.  BT headphones just don't get along with a PC.  Ill use mine as above methinks

I tried a pair of bluetooth headphones+mic a while back. I forget the brand, Logitech maybe. But I was less than impressed. Mediocre sound and constant dropping in and out. I went back to my old corded headphones for PC use (at the time was a Sennheiser set I had used for years.) On the other hand my Logitech cordless keyboard (G613) and mouse (G603) have been great, no issues at all and still on the first battery for each. 

When my Sennheiser's finally became so loose/worn-out they wouldn't stay on my head, I searched for another brand. I finally stumbled on the Audeze brand, but man were they expensive (bluetooth or wired. they could work either way.) The "planar magnetic" technology replacing the old fashioned cone intrigued me though. But... lotsa dollars. I wish-listed and forgot about them. Then one day I stumbled on the Hyper-X brand, and their flagship model was basically a wired-only version of the Audeze Mobious headphones. The brand stamp on the inside of the headband even says "Audeze", since the drivers are Audeze planar magnetic. I searched around the usual online retailers for a better price (the HyperX were only about $20 less than the full-blown Audeze brand) but no sales were on that I could find. I finally looked directly at the Hyper-X web site, and found they had the Cloud Orbit (flagship headphones) on sale. A really good sale, too. Not reflected on any online re-seller sites. I snapped up a set, and I have been extremely happy with them. Occasionally the mic is too far from my face and I'm quiet on comms, but the mic boom and the way it captures my voice (and the occasional snap as I release my PTT lol) seems pretty dang clear. The headphones themselves are great, an over-the-ear style, so your entire ear is enclosed within the cup. I thought this might be an issue with my glasses, but the padding is deep and super soft and doesn't bother my eyeglass bows at all. The Planar Magnetic drivers reproduce AWESOME range and clarity, and the 3D sound setup is quite impressive (sort of like TIR for your hearing, turn your head and the sound source direction stays constant, ex: the aircraft's engine noise is always where the engine is, no matter which side you're looking.) I recently picked up a turntable and have been rebuilding my vinyl collection... I plugged these headphones into the amp, and cranked up the volume. I was thoroughly impressed. Track 1 of Dylan's "Blood on the tracks" is "Tangled up in blue" (a long time favorite song, I know it well.) The HyperX Cloud Orbit headphones sound amazing. Best sounding headphones I've ever owned, and my 6-8 year's experience with the Sennheiser set was outstanding. It took a super-great sounding set of headphones to knock the Sennheiser's off the pedestal for me. 

My pair is Steelcase Arctis 7

https://www.amazon.com/SteelSeries-Lossless-Wireless-Headset-Headphone/dp/B07FZVXS8H/ref=asc_df_B07FZVXS8H/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=312181276443&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=13473220226805880181&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9032466&hvtargid=pla-526643920226&psc=1

I have a big head and wear glasses.  It was a little problematic with Track IR Clip until I got if figured out, but have had very few issues with them.  They managed to fit over and around the VR headset.  In my professional life have had comments from people on zoom calls that I sound like a radio disc jocky

Blood on the Tracks was a great album by the way, one of the best late era Dylan efforts.

• Like 1

I think that the wireless issues for headphones, at least from a PC, is that the sound sucks, there are constant dropouts, and in reality, takes up PC resources that could be better used elsewhere.  That being said, my Bose CAN be used on a wire, and if for nothing other than the excellent active noise cancellation, COULD work.  Not sure about the mic though, if when it is on a wire the mic signal passes through.

I bought my son's gaming headset, says Hunterspider on it, not sure of the brand, but it seems to work fine.  I'll still experiment with my Bose though.

7 hours ago, WWDarkdiz said:

I think that the wireless issues for headphones, at least from a PC, is that the sound sucks, there are constant dropouts, and in reality, takes up PC resources that could be better used elsewhere.  That being said, my Bose CAN be used on a wire, and if for nothing other than the excellent active noise cancellation, COULD work.  Not sure about the mic though, if when it is on a wire the mic signal passes through.

I bought my son's gaming headset, says Hunterspider on it, not sure of the brand, but it seems to work fine.  I'll still experiment with my Bose though.

So much for that idea, would have to attach a stand-alone mic, the headphones when wired are listen only

15 hours ago, WWChunk said:

Those Hyper-X headphones look amazing Sandy. Gonna have to wait for a sale as well though. 

I like'em. :)

I see the Cloud Orbit-S is going for $330 on the HX site... Just checked my receipt from July of last year, I paid $250 for them. About $100 more than I had intended to spend, but mannnn ... these are nice cans. Plus all the various cordage to connect to different stuff (PC, consoles, stereo rig, etc.) is nice. Again... you do not have the Bluetooth capability the actual Audeze Mobius have, but you do have the exact same Planar Magnetic drivers in the headphones. The detachable mic boom is nice too. I've used these connected to my phone (usb-c) even. Hmm... I wonder if the mobile version of TS would work with these... 

On 1/24/2021 at 1:16 PM, WWSittingduck said:

ok...maybe I am missing something....exactly where do you put these things?

As Chunk said, on your head. The Audeze Mobious can be used either corded or un-corded via bluetooth. The Cloud Orbit-S is corded only and uses the same type of speaker inside the headphones. 

Mobious:

spacer.png

... and the Cloud Orbit-S:

spacer.png

• 2 years later...

REvisiting this since I find that my super-nice and wonderful-sounding HyperX Cloud Orbit-S headset is now taped together. GRRRR! Tuesday night they seemed a bit loose on my head, but couldn't find the reason, and forgot about until this evening... When the dang thing fell apart. The plastic part that hold the earcup apparently has been getting stressed, the right side broke, and the left side shows signs of impending failure also.

DAMN! 

These are some of the best sounding headphones I've owned... and no, the mfgr does not offer repair or replacement parts. 

Here's the left side with the plastic cup-holder showing signs of giving out ... 

PXL_20230303_012956970.thumb.jpg.0ef526d04f7e204e5643413bb0606da8.jpg

My funky temporary tape-up job that sucks but is what I'll be flying with (and listening to music with later ... maybe!) 

PXL_20230303_013015908.thumb.jpg.09adcc37d53b7ab57d8ef11ec72118b1.jpg

I've used 5 minute epoxy and had good results Sandy. Fills gaps nicely and you can add materials with the epoxy for extra strength. I wouldn't use fiberglass but you get the idea.

Screenshot2023-03-02232307.thumb.jpg.43129ff1ff5ee7c1a76dcca674142b93.jpg

Couple of bucks at the dollar store.

JB weld works great as well.

Edited by WWFawlty
  • Like 1

I've got some epoxy out in the garage, was considering using it with some bits of steel to reinforce the bond. Searching through Reddit and Amazon reviews, seems like the plastic build quality on these headsets has deteriorated over the last couple years quite badly. Other gaming headsets from HyperX utilize aluminum framing, but they have a few different types that use plastic (mostly the cheapest offerings.) But since these are essentially partially re-branded Audeze Mobius headsets, I set the build quality issue on them. Amazon has dropped the price on this headset from well over $300 originally to $219 now ... That doesn't happen unless there are issues that preclude folks from buying the product. The sound quality of these headphones and mic are great, the build quality of the plastic framing sucks.

A friend of mine here in town has a 3D printer that he's getting good at using, though he has to rely on others to do the design work. Luckily, my headphones with the Planar Magnetic drivers sound so good that people have been designing and refining home-made replacement parts and have made the printable part files readily available. I'm hoping my friend will have something suitable printed within the week (he seemed excited to give it a try, and wasn't going to charge me.) 

In the meantime I've ordered a different set entirely... Thank you tax refund. (lets just say that my expectation is that the epoxy and the 3d printed part options will both fail, so I'm going with another option.)