Quick Views

WWDarkdiz

I knew what it did, but tried it mapped to the 'hog.  It's a keeper...

I also discovered that you can map the slew control (the REALLY sensitive mouse cursor on the throttle) to a keyboard function, which doesn't take up a DX axis.  If you put a huge deadzone around it, it works petty well as a conventional hat switch.  I don't have the Deltasim upgrade (its ordered but has yet to arrive) but it will likely work VERY well (instead of pretty well) as a keyboard function.

I had the FOV mapped earlier, I just found that these seems to be more efficient, in that when I release the button, the view resets.  I guess it would work the same way for FOV, I just didn't map it that way earlier.  I also find that with QV, you know what your getting as they are essentially preset FOV zooms.

Hmmm, I might have to look into that.  Been trying Jabo stuff lately, some limited success, but the issue is keeping the target in sight.  Same for deflection shooting, 90% of my shots are blind, as the target I was tracking disappears under the nose.  There HAS to be a method for either keeping the target visual with enough lead, or shooting using an indirect method.

Or practice...

For me, its practice. If I cant see the enemy that is under or behind my cowling, I just give a short 1 second burst at him, and then stop my turn ever so little, to let the enemy come back into view. If Ive done my shooting correctly, that is,  the proper 'guess' of him and my bullets being at the same place at the same time, he will be smoking. In my experience hitting him usually makes him do something else that allows me to get into a more straight on firing solution. Most of the time blind deflection shooting  I miss.  I see that Ive misjudged the very slight height difference between him and I, because when I allow the enemy plane to come out from the blind area he was in, he is ever so a bit lower or higher than where I put the 1 sec. burst. Id say I miss at least 50% of the time, so 1 sec burst doesnt waste my ammo on "I hope" shots. In the real world we would break out of the circle fight and climb, before he makes us bleed off our speed in the turn fight. Instead of turning we break,  and we climb a little, re-aquire him, and plan another attack that usually includes some chasing, unless he is dumb enough to still be turning circles just a litle bit below us. Another way to say what I do when blind deflection shooting, is pulling lead for a "snap shot". If my confidence is high, that it seems to be a easy kill, I will fire a whole 2 seconds of ammo, and pull just a bit of extra lead while doing it, because I tend to not lead enough in many cases.

• Like 1

I think practice is everything.  I just tried a Quick Mission with 4 v 4, with aiming help on.  I was surprised to see how far off my guess was in a lot of cases.  I also re-adjusted my views to give me a few more degrees over the nose (ie only having half the sight visible).  We'll see how it works out...

I've found that setting my views up for shooting a target under my nose means my over-head views become limited. Instead of trying the guesswork shots under the nose (which happen often enough) I try to arrange shots where the target is above me and I have to drive the retical up into his flight path. It doesn't happen that way often, but nice when it does. I get suckered into turn fights too often, I much prefer using high and low yo-yo's to get out of 'synch' with the target's flight path, allowing for easier tracking but a more difficult (slight) deflection shot. 

And yeah... Using that aiming help in single-player I was equally amazed how much further out the aim point was than I had expected. The aim-help is not 100% accurate, but it's a lot closer than I have been. 

• Like 1