THE KUBAN CAMPAIGN 4: INTO THE LION'S DEN

WWCephas

First the good news.  It's a beautiful sunny day at high noon.  The bad news: you are going to die (maybe... well hopefully not.  Stick to the plan!)

This week we will need to build on the good intra-Flight comms work and pre-mission planning we had on Kuban 3.

Gelendzhik must be destroyed, and it can be done with teamwork to eliminate a lot of the risk.

The basic plan is that all three Flights will take off and fly to the START staging area highlighted on the map before we begin a run on the target. 

If bandits are in the START staging area prior to the attack run starting a portion of Blue Flight will be tasked with engaging them.  The rest of the Flights should just try to avoid them so we can begin the assault with minimal delay.

When all three Flights are in position Blue Flight will lead the assault to the target area.  Their objective is to sow confusion and attract the gunners by flying erratically but not getting too close to the AAA or killing it.

Within 15-30 seconds of Blue flight starting their run, Red Flight will follow and make one quick pass with bombs and guns and try to hit one or two positions in a single run and immediately egress to the EXIT staging area.

Gold Flight follows within 15-30 seconds of Red Flight with the same profile.

Then Blue Flight is the last out.

Do not engage any bandits over the target in a turn fight (a quick burst of opportunity fire is fine if it presents itself)

If bandits follow any of our planes to the EXIT staging area we can deal with them there as a team without worrying about flak.

Each flight will assess their combat readiness (for ammo, fuel, damage) and then decide whether they are ready to make a reverse run back to the START staging area, or whether an RTB is necessary.

(Do not scrub an attack if only one or two planes per flight are not capable)

Rinse and repeat until the first target area is destroyed and then move to Stage II, and then after its destruction, Stage III.

Stage I Gelendzhik 2 (G2) airbase (the Top Center one)

764752652_Stage1.thumb.jpg.dc127646c69054c3158d464edb264800.jpg

Stage II Gelendzhik 1 (G1) airbase (the Bottom Left one)

1993451829_Stage2.thumb.jpg.a060da8e71ea5cde0c1fdabbc6b9e0c9.jpg

Stage III Gelendzhik 3 (G3) airbase (the Far Right one)

155006515_Stage3.thumb.jpg.b89e8c72d8f28cf19a8096dcc53ae0a6.jpg

Also there is another Recon mission this week (long range, low level) and these recon mission results will be incorporated into future mission objectives.

438199620_K4Recon.thumb.jpg.29fb3df822cd3c9de19167cb7381dac5.jpg

FULL IN GAME MISSION BRIEF

Today’s mission will be the destruction of Glendzhik bay enemy air facilities. High Command wants us to relocate East soon to cover the advancing front, but we cannot leave the Gelendzhik Bay airbases active in our rear.  A ground assault would be very difficult to accomplish given the mountainous terrain and limited road access, so we will need to level them with air power.

The key to this battle is to chip away at the edges of their extensive AAA network they have established with overwhelming force and then repeat until complete.

Therefore, each flight will coordinate to attack in a one-two-three assault.

There will be a designated staging area for each phase of the attack; One Start area to form up prior to the attack run and then an EXIT staging area after egressing.  Once all planes have cleared the target zone after making one quick pass, each Flight will accomplish a mission integrity check (planes, ammo, damage), and make an assessment:

1.) Whether the target was completed, and if planes are mission ready to move to the next target.

2.) Make an immediate attack run on the previous target in the reverse direction.

3.) Or whether to RTB and re-arm before returning to the attack.

Gelendzhik 2 Airbase (G2) will be the first target airfield for attack, followed by G1 (and the AAA barge in the bay), then finally G3.  Each airfield needs to have all AAA units destroyed before moving to the next target.  Once all AAA is cleared general strafing can commence.  Do not engage bandits over the target area, only engage them if they follow us out of the target area and then overwhelm them.

Blue Flight (Bf 109): Has the lead group.  They will establish air dominance over the staging area until Red and Gold are ready and then will break on signal to be first in over the hill to the target zone flying erratically to attract and at the same time avoid AAA fire.  Continue flying erratically until Gold Flight exits the area.

Red Flight (FW190): Will follow within 15-30 seconds of Blue Flight.  Identify and destroy any AAA assets you can hit in one pass.  Drop bombs and expend ammunition liberally.

Gold Flight: (Bf110) Will follow on the heels of Red Flight with basically the same profile as they have, hit hard and fast and egress out by the shortest route.  When G1 airbase becomes the target, Gold Flight is additionally tasked with taking out the AAA barge in the Bay.

White Flight (Bf 109F4): Your mission is to scout the road from Guriyskaya to Tuapse (Sector 1334-1 to 2030-7). After takeoff fly directly to Guriyskaya (friendly territory), upon arrival you will receive a message to begin your reconnaissance of the valley road from there to the sea. Intelligence needs film of the entire length of the road. (Take a .trk recording, keyboard shortcut LCtl-R) Try to maintain approximately 500 meters elevation over the terrain at a speed of 350kmh or slower (takeoff flaps) and maintain a wings level attitude as much as possible.  Your wide-angle camera lens faces directly down, so attempt to keep the road underneath your fuselage even while making banking turns as much as possible. There is also a rail line along this route, but we are only interested in the road so stay over that.  You will be notified of your progress as you fly the route.  If you reach Tuapse but were not satisfied with your run you have enough film to double back and try to complete the mission, but pay attention to your fuel state, this is a long run.  When your mission is complete land and taxi to park near the Absinkya 109 Fighter Base headquarters building to deliver the film (deliver the .trk files to the Mission Editor).

GOOD LUCK!

Edited by WWCephas
  • Like 2

• WWCephas changed the title to THE KUBAN CAMPAIGN 4: INTO THE LION'S DEN

We will need to make sure there are designated flight/section leads so that the various stages of the attack are well coordinated.  Might want to indicate your position preference to avoid being "voluntold"🙂

Gold:

1. FL Frylock
  2. Zed
  3. SL

Blue:

1. FL Cephas
  2. Plague
  3. Driftwood
  4. SL Duck
  5. Fawlty

Red:

1. FL Sandman
  2. Chunk
  3. SL GreyWolfe
  4. Diz
  5. SL Craven

White:

• Like 1

Craven you have the Master list, you can cut 'n paste this in when you get a chance for Blue Flight.

For this mission the Air Ops Officer is breaking Blue Flight into two 3 plane sections due to the dual nature of Blue Flights mission (Engaging aircraft in Staging areas/flying flak interference)

Blue:

1. FL Cephas

2. Plague

1 SL Sitting Duck

2. Fawlty

If anyone else wants to be Blue Flight Lead I am happy to step down.

Edited by WWCephas

I was going to volunteer for the recon flight again but unless I can sort out my recording issue I will l have to pass.

Issue is when I start recording an ntrk after about 90 seconds I start to get micro pauses that last anywhere from 1/2 a second to almost 2 seconds.  I started to notice this during practices for Icy's memorial, it was quite nasty trying to fly in tight formation then all of a sudden I get a hiccup.  Always was afraid I'd take out the lead then 4 would crash into me and Wolfie would be cursing at us all....

I gave the recon route a try last night and almost plowed into the hills a couple of times when I got the pauses, not only that it completely throws you off target course as they seem to come at the most inopportune times.

So, does anyone have any suggestions or recommendations of things I can try to get rid of these pauses?  Searched over at the GB forums without any luck finding anyone else with a similar issue.

Don't let the trk file recording issue stop you from flying the mission if that is what you want to do, I just thought it would be fun to watch and add a touch of realism like starting the camera on your plane.  It is not actually necessary.

1 hour ago, WWPlague said:

Do your run a hardware monitoring program like CPUID Hardware Monitor? There are others out there too. Are your CPU, GPU temps all ok?

I thought that it might be heat related but wasn't totally convinced, looking for feedback on that.

Did a test run using CPUID had the cpu temp max at 55c and the gpu max at 68c.  So at idle or simple PC use cpu runs around 38c and gpu around 30c, not sure if the max temps are too hot, not saying I couldn't use more cooling and I'm sure that the max temps have been higher than what I just recorded if they're under a really heavy load.

8 hours ago, WWSittingduck said:

What resolution are you running you game at?

3840x2160 which is the native resolution for the TV.  Did some checking on the temp thing and it seems that 70c is well within what's considered "normal" so I'm guessing that it's not a heat issue.  Going to keep plunking away at it until I figure it out.

My guess would be that it might be a PCI data throughput issue related to running on a disk hard drive while running at 4K on video, the PCI buffer may be causing backups because the HDD just can't keep up with the data writes.  

You could try running the mission at 2K res and see if it happens still, if that fixes it you can get an SSD drive pretty cheap these days and install your games to that drive and enjoy much faster loading times.

I had some weird issues happening last night, that's why it took me well over 55 mins to finally get on the server.

Once I finally got on (around 2056-ish) system worked as advertized, but prior...

First log on, frame rate was around 35 (normal for me) but stuff was happening at about 1/4 speed.  For example, I closed the canopy, took about 15 seconds, and was very "stuttery" (FR was still well over 25).  Wolfe took off beside me, was rubber-banding all over the place, I logged off at that point, intending to reboot, which I did.  System came up normally, I started IL2, got to the server, downloaded the files etc, got to the map, then waited... and waited... All I got was the little circle thingy.  After about 20 mins, I figured this wasn't gonna happen, I had to alt-f4 out, and rebooted again.

System came up as normal, joined the server, seemed OK, got to the map, the AC choice, and got airborne, was working as advertised.  Just took forever...

The rubber banding was the same as Tuesday, and the AC performance was weird then as well (FW engine quit without warning, not sure why, temps and pressures were normal).  Once I rebooted and logged back in, worked normally.

Apart from a new computer (working on it, these things take time), any ideas?

Rubber banding sounds like poor internet speed at that time. www.speedtest.net would tell you that if you have that situation again. Quit the game go to speedtest, choose your test server, closer the better, and see if the internet speed is what you get when you test it at any random time. Are you wired from the modem to your computer or wifi?

just guessing here.

host the same mission from your computer...see if you still get the same results.  Be sure to fly low over some big cities.  If you do,,host a stalingrad or moscow mission from your computer, and see how that plays.

Rhielnlad is the most demanding map we have now...it might just be the map.  You may have to tone down some graphics settings.

3 hours ago, WWPlague said:

Rubber banding sounds like poor internet speed at that time. www.speedtest.net would tell you that if you have that situation again. Quit the game go to speedtest, choose your test server, closer the better, and see if the internet speed is what you get when you test it at any random time. Are you wired from the modem to your computer or wifi?

Wired, we have uber high speed (1GB), works fine, so I don't think its the internet.  Funny thing was, once I finally got back in (3rd time's a charm), it worked fine.  It acted up on Tue as well, I'll make sure I reboot just prior next Tue.

3 hours ago, WWSittingduck said:

just guessing here.

host the same mission from your computer...see if you still get the same results.  Be sure to fly low over some big cities.  If you do,,host a stalingrad or moscow mission from your computer, and see how that plays.

Rhielnlad is the most demanding map we have now...it might just be the map.  You may have to tone down some graphics settings.

Unfortunately, I'm already at the lowest setting I can go (low, nothing turned on etc...).  I wonder if something was downloading in the background, since my graphic frame rate was normal, but maybe the CPU was doing something else instead of concentrating on the task at hand...

But I'll try and host that mission once again from my computer, see what happens.

On 2/5/2021 at 7:30 AM, WWCephas said:

My guess would be that it might be a PCI data throughput issue related to running on a disk hard drive while running at 4K on video, the PCI buffer may be causing backups because the HDD just can't keep up with the data writes.  

You could try running the mission at 2K res and see if it happens still, if that fixes it you can get an SSD drive pretty cheap these days and install your games to that drive and enjoy much faster loading times.

I copied over the version from my HHD to the SSD I have and ran a few test missions, no change, still get the pauses maybe not as pronounced as they are on the HHD but still there nonetheless.