CH products throttle WEP limiting plunger

WWCephas

In the heat of battle I often forget my ham fisted LH ramming throttle all the way forward and leaving it there until the engine blows (unless in the good 'ol Cephas proof De-rated G2).

Since I wanted to try and improve my flying with the F4 in particular but other planes as well where a heavy throttle hand will leave me checking how well my parachute was packed I thought I would see if I could add a physical throttle pushback spring to my CH throttle.

Nothing appeared readily available to easily attach to my unit so I dusted off some brain cells to see what I still remembered about using Blender and my 3d Printer.

I did a lot of printing a year ago while I was active in the local table top wargaming scene but it has been packed away since I started preparing to sell my house almost a year ago.

Anyway I whipped out a 3d Model today and will setup the printer tomorrow and pump out a copy.  It is not very pretty, I am no artist, but it should be functional.

If I was an artist I think I would like to make this thing look like a JagdPanther tank turret which it kind of vaguely resembles (in my mind).

Anyway, if it works I am more than happy to print off some more for any other WW who wants one. 

I still have some experimenting to do with spring stiffness to do once it is made. 

398388428_ThrottlePlunger2.thumb.jpg.a197aea568e88b211f45de188dc4046b.jpg

1122300448_ThrottlePlunger0.thumb.jpg.fbe5b15e7e9224a574ca31d11d5e7899.jpg

245962638_ThrottlePlunger1.thumb.jpg.85e0186148f2458d5eef99d079c9fad5.jpg

• Like 1

ch pedal resistance would be cool, something for a better feel no real resistance that would damage the pedals. no 3d printer but was looking at using pipes that slide together then insert a spring so it's like a cheesy piston. Plus I would sound like a kid coming down the street on a pogo stick in a dogfight, should liven up comms. 

Somehow I think your project is way cooler. 

I made up a little script in the software that I've been using. What I did is set at 90% throttle (you can set it anywhere you like) the cockpit light comes on just as a reminder not to stay to long. I have a hat switch to turn it off after you drop back. Being newish to WW2 I find I'm not having engine issues since using this setup. Some may find it a cheat (Woody) but I'm sure in the real plane they had some sort of warning when you were pushing the engine to hard other than the temp gauge.

Let me know if your interested, I'll get you the info to set it up.  

I'm interested in how your mod works out.

Here's a image, text and copy of my profile for GB for anyone who's using CH equipment and software.

This allows for the use of the mini joystick on the PT to be used for trim also turning cockpit lights on at 90% throttle/turn off with joystick hat. 

This will give you the basics so you can set up for your own preference.

Note this is for CH PT, FS, Quad and Pedals

The info should help if you don't have the same setup. Not sure if the zip files will load with a different hardware setup.

1.thumb.jpg.09f160c0e74aa15f155b54d4b45c77d2.jpg

// CMS Script File
//
//     Game Title:
//     Written By:Fawlty
//           Date:
//
script
  cms.b1 = [js2.a1 < 96]; //forward
  cms.b2 = [js2.a1 > 160]; //back
  cms.b3 = [js2.a2 < 96];  //up
  cms.b4 = [js2.a2 > 160];  //down
// High RPM lights on
 IF ([JS2.A3 > 22]) THEN             //22 is the number to change for adjusting the percentage(Don't need to copy this explanation into CM Editor )
  CMS.B128 = FALSE ;
 ELSE
  CMS.B128 = TRUE ;
 ENDIF

endScript

Maps.zip

Edited by WWFawlty
  • Like 1

Thanks for the info Fawlty.  I loaded up and gave it a try and it worked but I found that the script was spamming the "l" key while the throttle was forward. 

I also really wanted the cockpit light to auto shutoff so I pulled out the CMS manual and rewrote the script adding PULSE commands so it only sends the "l" input one time when the stick moves forward into WEP zone and one time when it moves out of it.

I then fired the game up and tuned it to the Bf109 F4's Emergency power throttle setting of > 84% changing the > 22 in your script to a > 40.

This script requires binding an additional CMS virtual button to in CH manager to the letter "l".  In this case I used button CMS.B127 in addition to the "l" already set on CMS.B128 in your map.

In case you start the mission with your throttle in the wrong position, just hit the "l" key on your keyboard to reset the light.

I put the settings for an F4 in this script in the annotated section for both Combat power and WEP.  If my 3d printed throttle plunger works as planned I will move the light value down to combat power so I will have 2 stage notification on power settings.

// CMS Script File

script
  cms.b1 = [js2.a1 < 25]; //forward
  cms.b2 = [js2.a1 > 200]; //back
  cms.b3 = [js2.a2 < 25];  //up
  cms.b4 = [js2.a2 > 200];  //down
// High RPM lights on at 84% throttle for Bf109 F4 ([JS2.A3 > 40])
// Combat Power is 65% throttle on a F4 so it would be ([JS2.A3 > 90])
 IF ([JS2.A3 > 40]) THEN
   CMS.B127 = TRUE;
 ELSE
  CMS.B128 = TRUE;
 ENDIF

PULSE( D4 ) = CMS.B127;
  TIMER( OFFDELAY, D3, 2 ) = D4;
  CMS.B127 = D3;
   PULSE( D2 ) = CMS.B128;
  TIMER( OFFDELAY, D1, 2 ) = D2;
  CMS.B128 = D1;

endScript

The  mini joystick settings on your script were too sensitive for my throttle unit (it may be a little floppy) so I changed the values of that to make it require a greater throw to activate the trim.

Finally I noticed that Great Battles input mapper is very picky about RCTL commands, sometimes it will recognize the RCTL and sometimes it just sees it as a basic CTL key or misses the CTL part completely. 

I would program something as RCTL KBUP and it would most of the time just see UP ARROW in the input mapper in game and occasionally it would actually see RCTL UP ARROW.

There is a command in CH manager that fixes this timing issue with the weird name of  "CHARDLY", so I added that to all my key bindings on my map that had a designated LCTL or RCTL (same with Shift and Alt) for example:

Binding my trim "HOLD LCTL KBUP" becomes "HOLD LCTL CHARDLY KBUP".  I highly recommend using this command for any IL2 CONTROL, SHIFT, or ALT mappings, it is 100% accurate now.

Trying to get my 3d printer up and running after packing it away for a year and moving 1200 miles is a whole 'nother story, and then when I finally found all the parts and sorted out the networking s/w issues and got it working the semi stripped nozzle threads gave way and made a nice mess of melted plastic on my second print.

Oh well at least I can get the parts quick.

Edited by WWCephas

Nice work on this Cephas, I was eventually going to set up the light off at lower RPM, nicely done.

That timing issue "CHARDLY" I've run into before nice find, and I went with your mini joystick numbers as well, feels good.

I think Bob Church wrote this software for CH but I see he and the forum isn't around anymore.

He wrote the mini joystick script for me many years ago, I wanted it for Day of Defeat a WW2 shooter back then. I still use the prothrottle instead of the keyboard today for Arma 3 

Thanks

Edited by WWFawlty

It was indeed Bob Church, and CM Control Manager is a wonderful piece of software. The CH HOTAS I had served me for well over a decade and would probably still be working if I didn’t change to something else. Both you and Cephas have done some extremely cool scripting here. Bravo boys!

Version 2 works perfectly with lots of clearance.  Now I just need to head to the hardware store to find some attaching hardware.  I am hoping to find a stud post I can use with wingnuts instead of just using screws.

Anyone who wants one just let me know.

20210215_145237_HDR.thumb.jpg.737a81ada7996b41ff7725789a483de1.jpg

• Like 3

Nice work. Wish I could find local business who would scan a plastic piece for me so I could pay someone to print some spares for me out of nylon or other slick material. Not exactly like this, but simular. Size of a matchbook cover. Links that Duck posted wont work for me to use the software and my phone to take the pictures to input to the software.

SR22-FOLLOWER-3.jpg

Here is the final attached version, I like it even if the spring is a bit stiff.  It tells me "Do you really want WEP power????" to which the answer of course is HELL YES!

I then took Fawlty's cockpit light mod to the throttle setting and set it down to the combat power range so I have a two step notification.

20210217_160548_HDR.thumb.jpg.53977e8bff0f1f22ca741e63513a70ca.jpg

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4766406/files

Edited by WWCephas
  • Like 2

If you want to send me that piece I can measure it out and try to design it in Blender 3d.  I think I can print it in PLA plastic and it would work fine for a magazine follower.  Cost would be negligible.

You would probably want to send the entire clip so I could test the function of it installed.

BTW what is the model # of that pistol?  

I got a good test in of the throttle plunger last night and I really like it, although I might need to add a rubber sheet to the bottom of the throttle now to keep it from sliding since I put a pretty strong spring in the plunger.  Interestingly though the plunger spring never kicks the slider back farther than the initial contact point when I release it which is great.   Along with the CMS cockpit light script moving to 65% for combat power I do not need to look down very often at the gauges for throttle control.