Big drop in Bitcoin markets last week, if it continues perhaps video cards will become available again soon.

Question I have is what does crypto mining do to the cards? I would buy a used one if they havent had too much N material migrate to the P side. I think I saw a link to an article about that or not, Ill see if I can find it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lhlt3QoTStI&ab_channel=TestingGames

Inconclusive amateur video, comments say mining cards should be undervolted, (some wont be), to save on electricity costs, which will prolong the transistors on the GPU die, and that the used card just needs new thermal paste applied, (no easy job if you can even do it, some cards may have the HS glued to the GPU chip with thermal expoxy and even if its paste, cleaning and reapplying aint a 10min job to do correctly. Besides the hardware to remove to get to the GPU die ).  A well used mining card for $375 instead of a new one for $775?, if thats the case, I will pass. 

I have less than zero desire to buy a secondhand video card has been run 24/7 on mining operations.  Whether or not it's been undervolted.  That is a huge crapshoot.

• Like 1

The crypto market is so volatile that I doubt folks will stop mining operations until that market has completely crashed. Especially the folks heavily invested into multiple gpu mining rigs.

I assume they'll be upgrading to the next gen cards soon as they can. Whether their current cards are any good after being pushed hard is anyone's guess. But as Chunk said, I want no part of the used GPU market. I'll jeep saving my pennies and eventually get a new, warranted card. 

• Like 1

What Sandman said. Crypto wont die even if its down to $500 from the current 30-50k a piece price. Nvidia says more anti mining measures may be implemented in new cards coming out, but that remains to be seen, and where there is money to be made, miners will work to hack the fix. 

They key here is that gamers need to hope that the outlook is poor for investing in Crypto mining setups so going forward fewer GPU's are routed into these rigs and the gaming market can recover, although there is now pent up demand there too that will need to be alleviated for prices and availability to drop as well.

Crypto generation is an interesting subject.  The cost in electrical power consumption to do the required computing scales with the number of bitcoins generated.  In the last down cycle when bitcoin dropped form 18K down to 7K it became unprofitable to mine it from an energy standpoint alone, somewhere around 8-10K depending on the cost of local energy. 

(My old home of Washington state actually was a big hub for this near Grand Coulee dam.  Miners would buy shipping containers, load them with mining boxes and have them hooked directly to the grid near the power plants to get cheap business utility hydroelectric power rates.)

Then there are other overhead factors like maintenance, cooling, accounting, etc..  If you read the article link below it shows that just the professional mining rigs alone cost in the range of $2-6K and take about 120-300 days to become profitable, and that is if the BTC market does not halve again like it does regularly which doubles the computation required.

https://cryptominer.deals/product/bitmain-antminer-s17-plus-73th

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2021/feb/27/bitcoin-mining-electricity-use-environmental-impact

Apparently the video card manufacturers are a bit miffed... The 3090 with a blower on it is bei g scooped up by enterprise level companies because it's less expensive than (A100?) cards normally doing big business. So there's another drain on gaming cards. 

Found this related to old mining cards VS new cards of the same type: https://www.tomshardware.com/amp/news/mining-card-rtx-2080-ti-tested-gaming