Camel Spin Recovery

So, as I mentioned in a different thread, the steps I use for spin recovery in the Camel include: 

• Blip the engine off
  • Full nose-down elevator
  • Full left rudder
  • Full right aileron

That usually works for me. Occasionally I find I have to 'rock the boat' and cycle the stick full aft and full forward multiple times. Other times, I get to ride the beast all the way down, fighting it all the way. Ya win some, ya lose some.

Let us know what works for you!

Great write up on spin recovery Sandy. I have found " also " that at least with me, Camels when entering a spin tend to go a little past vertical which can reduce rudder effectiveness, so I also

will rock the plane using elevator and small blast of power to get the nose more vertical when recovering. Altitude is definitely insurance for spin recovery. It is interesting, I went on youtube and was 

trying to get as much information on how the real Camel flies with its original rotary engine and in hard turns the nose will actually pitch up and down due to the gyroscopic effect of that nice big rotary. So for me, I really need to be much more soft handed with this aircraft--- I am horribly heavy handed .   

Left == Up; Right == Down. That's the direction the nose will pitch in a power-on turn. You can smooth out those turns a bit countering with rudder (lots of left rudder in a left turn, a little LEFT rudder in a right turn <brings the nose up> ) ... or by blipping the engine off (that whirling engine mass is still creating centrifugal force, but not as much when you have the power off.) 

FWIW, the Fokker Dr.1 tripe has the same issues and flies the same, except it's slower and climbs better.

• Like 1