What I'm Listening To

WWCraven

Time to populate this lounge with some tunes.  If you have some favorites that you like or just happen to stumble on something, share it with everybody.

Here is my first attempt, I stumbled across this lady as i was stumbling across something else.  I was struck by how much of herself she puts into her music, a ton of passion and feelings here.

Enjoy this cover by Morgan James of the Sam Cooke classic Bring It On Home To Me.

• Like 3

Wow... That, sir, is the good stuff. I'm going to watch for more from Ms Morgan James. She's got a great voice.

There have been a couple 'wow' moments for me, perusing YouTube video's and going down the various rabbit holes there. Pentatonix had an early accapella rendition recorded in a private home foyer that blew me away several years ago (they've since gotten commercial and had band members be changed out.) That hasn't stopped me from enjoying other musicians that Pentatonix led me to, like Lyndsey Sterling (a very energetic pop violin player.) I've also recently discovered a duo of cello players ... Yes, the two young men playing MODERN cello with a rock band and a full orchestra backing them is a thing.  Entertaining!

I've been slowly rebuilding my vinyl collection, a tiny bit at a time. In the past couple weeks I've added some classics: Boston's first album, The Eagles' "Hotel California" and Led Zeppelin IV, 40th anniversary edition with a second album of re-mixes of the original songs. Other recent additions include some Blackberry Smoke, Eric Clapton and BB King, and I'm waiting on re-presses of Stevie Ray Vaughan's lifetime collection "Texas Hurricane" and Peter Frampton's "Frampton Comes Alive".

There's just something about going through the process of truly listening to an album all the way through. I've managed to relearn that I feel both disappointed and full of anticipation when I have to get up and turn the album over. 

• Like 1

To see if someone is a singer, have them sing sit down in a chair, and play an intro for them, and see how they do. I put this up on youtube 12years ago, as Willey Nelson wrote, "Funny how time slips away", would be my second on the play list. 

• Like 1

Very nice!!!

Mention of the Pentatonics made me think about the old Sing Off show and the Backbeats cover of the old Fleetwood Mac song:

There's a young guitarist that I like who does a lot of lovely arrangements of popular cover tunes.  But she's done a couple of original songs:

Sandy, I have several boxes of vinyl out in the garage.  I know there's some awesome stuff in there from back in the '70s.  I really need to dig that out. 

Edited by WWGriphos
  • Like 1

Yes, recently bought a turntable and dug out all our old albums. Lots of Skinyard, Zep, Floyd, ZZ, Boston, Fleetwood, ACDC... And the occasional Neil Diamond, and Billy Joel. Truth be told, I really can't tell the difference between digital and analog, other than the occasional hiss, pop, crackle, or skip. Still, though, very enjoyable and brig's back memories of the day when you had to walk softly in the house and be close at hand to "flip it over!"

Oh yeah, and that Tubes album that ended each sided with the phrase, "the Record stopped... The record stopped... The rec..." Until you did something about it.

These guys figure largely in my collection. This is the title track of their latest album, due to be released at the end of May I believe.

Blackberry Smoke "You hear Georgia" and "Run away from it all"

(the most prolific country/southern-rock band you've never heard on the radio, but you'll rarely get to buy a ticket to a live show because they're stupidly expensive and sell out in minutes)

• Like 1

Wow! We have a bunch of great tunes showing up for our listening pleasure.  I bring you a couple from one of Carol and I's favourite artists, from Montreal, Jesse Cook.  Ever have the chance to see him in concert you won't be disappointed.

3 hours ago, WWGriphos said:

A WD-40 guitar? (base?) with a Whammy!!! 

Seems legit!

How much you charge for those?

no bass 3 string ,but I do 2 strig bass too ,wow they really range i price thats a newer can so I could fetch 300 canadian if I hang it on the wall in the coffee shop in town. The turpintine can is older probably 50 bucks more other two are run of the mill. Then there is the wood boxes like this walnut one with copper cone tad more because of time. And can't forget licence plates. lo

lIMG_1517.thumb.JPG.c0ca259f57657417f2b42cfcd13dba2a.JPG

IMG_1321.thumb.JPG.61e577a7538a3278b33e1e3c43d0ad76.JPG

.IMG_1464.thumb.JPG.50f849cf12a69c98d90b69d93ef402b8.JPG

• Like 1

I meant bass (not base).  Those are sweet!  Do you make your own necks?

I worked with a luthier for a while in my early 20s.  Never made a whole guitar.  Just worked on various parts of the process for/with him.  I learned enough not to try to make my own!  Anything really good would just be luck if I made it. 

For good guitar, I have my OM-28.  🙂

I'm in the market for a good dobro at the moment.  I'd love to find an OMI Model 90 (Dobro Duolian) like Justin is playing.  To think I could have gotten one of those in the 90s for $350!!

You know...when Biker posted that first pic of his "3 string" guitar....my initial impression was, well, "hokey"  I have never seen one less alone heard anything played on one.

I've watched that video at the top of this thread (Justin Johnson) about 4 times now....  Incredibly impressed by what can be done with them.   

I carved gunstocks from scratch for 30 years so really the necks were pretty easy for me and most are from scraps left over from guns I have made, I like to wind my own pickups too when I can . But parts are pretty cheap on amazon its a nice little hobby. I don,t play all that good yet only started 3 years ago, been playing harmonica 50 years and started as a drummer.