Thursday 4-8 Mission

I have a new mission ready if no one else has anything queued up already.  It is a North African mission so it should be a nice change of pace.  Flying German 109-E7 and 110-E2 with limited aggressor option available in P40's.  The mission is hunting convoys and general patrol.

Made some changes for the next time we run this, thanks for the input  everyone.

Longer delays between AI CAP patrols (we were getting pounced to often to execute a good ground attack.)

Adjusted AI variable strength numbers up (We should not have been getting flights of 4 every time with just 6 players)

Fixed limited spawns and test base removal.

Added random AI skill level assignment to Hurricane CAP patrol on spawn and added mirrors and air filters and 12x .303s (The Ace Hurri pilots were doing some amazing maneuvers without losing E and the filter and mirror will slow them down a touch)

Added extra German and Italian RRR vehicles at each base in case you land at the other base. (not sure if necessary, but cannot hurt to add)

The Italian plane I initially flew, did repair and rearm at the German base. It got stuck repairing the water cooling system I think, and I got tired of waiting for it so grabbed a German ship.

FYI: The MC-202 with 20mm canon pods is effective on soft target ground attack, but was too slow to regain or maintain energy in sustained turns with P-40's, and couldn't hang with the Hurricanes at all. American (P-47/F4F) style boom and zoom is the only really effective method of engaging the more nimble British ships. The occasional snap-shot or head-on run were effective, as the 20mm were devastating. There is a distinct difference in the bullet arc of the Breda 12.7mm cowl guns versus the wing mounted MG151-20mm. The 20mm were much better/flatter for longer range shooting. The Breda 12.7mm/.50 cal guns must have really low muzzle velocity, they were nearly worthless outside roughly 200m range due to the obvious bullet drop (as evidenced by the extra-smokey tracers.) I did not try the plane without the wing guns, it should be significantly lighter and likely retain energy better. But with only those anemic cowl guns, I'd guess it would be only useful in WW1-style "get close enough to smell them" fighting.

• Like 1