"Tusani Hurrikaani"

It is Finnish for "A Dozen Hurricanes".

It is also the name of a new Thursday night mini-campaign that may start as early as this Thursday.

This will be when a plane is gone, it's gone scenario.  As the title implies there will only be 12 Hurricanes available.  If a pilot loses his plane and there are no other reserved planes remaining he will have to fly a lesser plane.  In this case due to the limited pre war plane set it will probably be a re-skinned Lagg3 representing one of the nearly dozen different planes the Finns imported during this brief battle.

(The Airbase will be open for spawning for the first 15 minutes of the mission, any accidents that occur during that period before the mission starts in earnest do not count against you and you may re-plane.)

Historically the Hurricane arrived so late that in actuality it saw very little action, but I am going to RetCon history a little and pretend they arrived shortly after the start of hostilities.

The goal of this campaign is to try and fly like your life is on the line, but even more so, to protect the valuable asset that has been entrusted to you.  Fly with a wingman, preferably two sets of two as the Finns did vs the Russians 3 plane V formations.  There is an article linkage below about Finnish tactics and exploits that makes good reading and a good template to model your actions on for these missions.

Missions will be reviewed afterwards for plane status and the next weeks assignment.

I am going to also try to tweak the AI to match Russian tactics.  Most of the missions will be patrols looking to stop the Russians from attacking Finnish positions.  Following planes into enemy territory is highly discouraged and disengaging and RTB'ing when damaged is highly encouraged.  These will not be your usual heavy action WWCephas style missions, but more realistic patrols with limited combat.  A single kill will be a big deal.  Always check your six.

FLIGHTS:

RED:

1- Craven

2- Cephas

3- GreyWolfe

4- Darkdiz

BLUE:

1- Sandman

2- Driftwood

3- Geezer

4-

BLACK

1-

2-

3-

4-

https://www.airforcemag.com/article/0912finland/

P.S. If someone wants to make a Finnish scheme Hurricane and Lagg3 before I get home and give it a try that would be great.  I am not sure if it exists already for the Hurri.

Edited by WWCephas
  • Like 2

This sounds like it's going to be a good time for certain!!!  I'd love to make up a couple of Finnish skins for this but unfortunately I won't be able to get to them before the end of next week.

I'll also be looking for a volunteer to wing with me for this campaign.

This almost has the feel of the campaign that the Danger Dogz are still running using PWCG Coop feature.  There's is a P-38 campaign, not sure how things are going with it but it's certainly something I'd like to look into deeper.

• Like 1

Starting this week is pushing it actually.

Let's be safe and put it off to a July 1 starting date.

Craven: thanks for offering to skin. 

Also I would like to fly with you as the second pair of the flight of four if you don't mind.  Of course this means I need a wingman too. (or lead)

• Like 1

Cool beans... Put me in any spot as needed with the Huri... I'll bone up on the Lagg... 

Where's Gold in this mission? Hard core bomber boys need some stuff to blow up... Not sure how it fits into the historical aspect but I think I see tears rolling down the cheeks of Zed and Fry. :sad_blinky: 

This is a Hurricane centric mini campaign.  All flights are flying the same mission profile.  Since this is a Thursday event turnout is generally only 5-8 players anyway.

There will be a British campaign of some sort after ReKuban on Tuesday nights.

Put me in for one, please. Any flight or section.

The Hurri isn't a bad ship at all, just badly armed. Those .303's have no punch at all. I unloaded a full load of ammo into a 109 and while it was thoroughly peppered with holes, smoking and had lost a few bits (landing gear covers, one flap, an aileron, etc.) it refused to die.

Very true Sandman, on the flip side your opponents will also be using pea shooters too.

As I mentioned in the original post, kills will be hard to come by.

I also forgot to mention that in the spirit of more realism AI gunners will be set to Normal instead of Low.  There will be much fewer of them though and generally lower caliber.  When they are around though you will want to fly erratically.  Diving directly at a AA gun will be a risky proposition.

The same goes for rear gunners, you will want top make slashing oblique attacks.  Aiming for engines is probably your best chance to deal a fatal blow.  The AI also has some new logic  routines I thought up added in these missions to trigger retreat when under attack under certain circumstances, they will not blindly continue to the target no matter what as they do under standard settings.

Edited by WWCephas
  • Like 2

On 6/17/2021 at 7:11 PM, WWCephas said:

If someone wants to make a Finnish scheme Hurricane and Lagg3 before I get home and give it a try that would be great.  I am not sure if it exists already for the Hurri.

My first attempt...

I have the original markings (non-PC) available, whichever way the sqn wants to go, I'm easy with.Let me know what numbers, text etc you want, I'll PM you the screenshot, and when you are happy upload to HSD.2057114934_FinnishHurriPC.thumb.png.1b44f8470e8a40afa052262e65b93f1e.png

Sandman, try the Two BS 12.7 mm wing-mounted machine guns with 100 rounds per each and two ShVAK 20mm wing-mounted guns with 120 rounds per each instead of default "Browning .303" wing-mounted machineguns. I just wait for a good shot, all guns, quick taps on the trigger. 

• Like 1

• WWCephas changed the title to "Tusani Hurrikaani"

P40 Skins, as well as the remaining Hurrikaani skins uploaded to HSD for all those who signed up.  Generic skins with Finnish markings also uploaded.  They should be available in a day or so.

If folks don't have HSD, I can put the skin pack on the ftp site, you can download it from there.

Good chance I won't be there for the initial run, my attendance will be sporadic at best for the summer.

S!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Just another FYI, your custom skin should be preloaded for you if you are updated on HSD before the event as each plane slot is reserved by name. (You can change it still if I get it wrong or you do not want to run it)

• Like 1

Managed to kill 4 with the loadout, of course taking out the 4th plane with my prop helped, had no bullets left, then did an emergency landing. 

Cephas, there's a playlist for the Hurri dogfights, uploaded 4 shorter videos when we flew the practice mission. :pistols:

• Like 1