Haluter's Skin Downloader

So I loaded the software easily enough, pointed at my folder and navigated to the Wingwalker's Il2 Group.  It downloaded 80 skins in like 10 minutes so was very efficient and easy to view.

So if I am following this, the software is tracking what skins are in that group and confirms what you own.  Right now this is a list of everything Diz has uploaded.   This is not a list of everything in my skin file, just everything that is in the skin downloader I believe.

So I guess the question is if this is a tool for new recruits to get into uniform do we upload everything that exists into this group or do we actually make some kind of discernment between the skins that should be downloaded.  I noticed there is a category of "skin pack" versus "Il2 Group."  Do we make a subgroup that is a "skin pack" or do we care, throw everything in the Il2 Group and just grab them all?

right now my whole skin file is 19 gb....not that big for how things roll these days

Pic1.JPG

Also Diz can you clarify the URS thing that came up that wanted to delete certain skins from my current files?  Was I following that right?

Also Also, when I selected the Hurrikane Campaign skin pack it showed none, was that because I already downloaded all of them by grabbing the whole Il2 Group first?

I cannot see the point of uploading all the old skins if they are ones that are not being used from years ago.  Even though HSD is easy to use the number of WW squadron skins can easily get ridiculous when you have 50 planes and 15 pilots, each with their own custom skin, and sometimes multiple for each plane type.

Just my dos centavos.

Geezer, if you start to go thru the steps of UPLOADING a skin in HSD, you will see all the information a user has to enter for just one skin.  Multiply that times the god knows how many squad skins (ie the GOLD 2 SPRING) we have, and imho, it is just too much work, even for a handful of willing pilots.

But it is a manageable solution for personal skins...(ie, those skins unique to one and only one pilot)

Understood, will keep digging.  I can see the draw if you were trying to publish skins for a campaign with set flights and plane types.  Certainly a nice piece of coding for the person that put this together.

My 2 cents…

We (I)… whomever, can create a skin pack with basic personal skins for any new member to download if they wish. Quite easy to do.

The devil in the details here is WHICH skins we want in the basic skin pack. IMHO, Dress Blues (WWGeneric 109G2) and 1 chosen skin for each active member per commonly-flown plane. This would at least get anyone up to speed on individual sqn member markings/numbers etc.

I can request the HSD admins to add edit existing filters on the site to add WW VPS Basic Skin Pack under the Skin Pack search feature for selected skins already on the site, but some who have uploaded personal skins may have to also request the addition as I have no authority to change skins that I did not upload.

I will however, sometime this week, have the above skin-pack section added. It’s then simply a question of adding selected skins to that pack group.

Confused yet?

@WWGeezer, when you see just the HSD splash screen on the right, it means you are completely up to date for all of the skins you currently have selected. Since the Tusani Hurrikaani skin pack is included in the WW sqn skin group, you would already have them in the proper folders.

• Like 1

I got the reply from the admins at HSD...

Bottom line is they can add a search filter for the skins we want in the basic skin pack, we don't have to re-upload. 

So, the million-dollar question is WHICH skins do we want included?  I suggest one skin per commonly-flown aircraft per sqn member.  As an example, I have an I-16 skin, but I will likely not fly the I-16 a lot, so I would not have that in the basic skin pack.  If a sqn member wanted to download it however, it is available.

Conversly, I fly the 190-A5 quite a bit, so would likely have my WWDarkdiz - FW190a5 included in the basic pack.  Remember, ALL of the skins are available at any time from the site, but if we get a guest or a newbie, they can start with the Basic Skin pack.  Then, if they want to add more skins, they can download the entire WW section, or pick and choose.

From the skins that are already on the server, can the skin owner (uploader) let me know if they want this in the basic pack?  For those uploading skins moving forward, if you want it to be in the basic skin pack, then add it including the Basic Skin Pack filter, and it will be downloaded if anyone uses that filter.  I will then message back the HSD admins and they will add the filter to the file

I recommend only 1 skin per aircraft type in the basic pack, and only those aircraft you commonly fly.   I will upload a skin and create the Wing Walkers Basic Skin Pack, so it is there for anyone who wants to upload a skin into this pack.  I'll get to that this week sometime.

The text file below is what is currently on the server

SkinsExport.txt

• 2 months later...

This probably is already common knowledge to most, but reason I have not been showing skins even thou my HSD was up to date is because I did not have the HRS boxed checked.  Got another 30 some odd skins once I checked it.  Am hoping this is what cause my hurricane skin to not show up...not that I will be flying one for a couple weeks...(grrrrrrr...)

hsd1.thumb.jpg.f89bb1cc66476082338bb872baa0dcfb.jpg

With the in-game availability of adding codes to many aircraft, a generic skin without codes or numbers that is already available would fit the "basic" squadron skin pack idea. I have all those already, can start searching through them to assemble a selection. I may include a winter skin where appropriate in addition to a summer skin, so some ships may have two skins. Edit: make that three, some will have a desert scheme also. 

If I read that right, Diz is or will start a generic WW group pack... Does that mean he's the only one to add to that pack? 

I'm going to start uploading a bunch of my personal skins, those not already available, all of which were created by others. I assume there's a place where I can credit the original artists? 

I think that there needs to be further discussion on what would constitute a WW basic skin package.  As it stands we don’t have a clear sense of what  should or should not be included.

In addition, an inventory of who has made what skins and where they are located, I.e. the vault or HSD should be built, compiled, reviewed and a determination made if any should be in a basic skin package.  This review should also ID 2k vs 4K skins.  I’d also like to see us standardize on a “WW colour scheme” which would help skinners when designing their skins.

I have more thoughts on this but in order to save the readers a long and relatively boring read I’ll break it down into smaller chunks.

Finally, putting together a group of 3-4 members to work on all of the above will make things go a lot easier, if anyone interested in working on this let me know.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, WWSandMan said:

With the in-game availability of adding codes to many aircraft, a generic skin without codes or numbers that is already available would fit the "basic" squadron skin pack idea. I have all those already, can start searching through them to assemble a selection. I may include a winter skin where appropriate in addition to a summer skin, so some ships may have two skins. Edit: make that three, some will have a desert scheme also. 

If I read that right, Diz is or will start a generic WW group pack... Does that mean he's the only one to add to that pack? 

I'm going to start uploading a bunch of my personal skins, those not already available, all of which were created by others. I assume there's a place where I can credit the original artists? 

I believe that what you’re asking needs further discussion as I noted in my previous post.  At least initially skin management would a major time consuming project for one person, let’s work on seeing how we can create an equitable spread on the workload.

And yes, you can credit the author in the notes section I believe.

• Like 1

Starting the process of uploading some of the personalized custom skins I've accumulated over time. First one is a Bf-109G2 skin that Craven made for me (and several others in a pack), and which I don't believe he has on Haluters yet. 

Oh, and see the new thread, which may have to become a new forum area, on squad generic skins. I'd like to be part of the crew working on that project, sir. 

On 10/9/2021 at 8:10 AM, WWSandMan said:

Another note for geezer, you can search by author/artist name as well, see several WW names in there. 

The only one you don't want to grab is Craven's P-52... A simple typo in the aircraft name, but it still is up on HSD. 

Not sure how that happened, slip of the index finger I guess.  Anyway that particular skin is a duplicate of the P-51 Dress Blues.  There is a correctly named version already on HSD, I'm simply going to hit the delete box on HSD for this screwed up one.

• Like 1

On 10/9/2021 at 5:24 AM, WWSandMan said:

Also, are there templates avaable for ai only ships, like the DC-3 or B-25? Could be useful for mission builders to have generic squadron skins for those available. 

Yes there are templates for the C-47, B-25.

• Like 1

Looking through the HSD files, there are several that are exact duplicates (and some the file name is the same, but the aircraft is different, so they are NOT duplicates).  Only the artist (uploader) can request deletion, so in the interest of saving a bit of space...

WWGreywolfe - SpitfireMkXIV uploaded by me is the exact same as WWGreywolfe-SpitfireMkXIV uploaded by Wolfie (note the difference in file names, one has spaces, one doesn't).  I'll have the one I uploaded deleted from HSD.

WWCraven-TempestMkVs2 was revised to WWCraven_TempestMkVs2.  Recommend have HSD delete the older one (the one with the dash NOT the underscore), so every time we log on there is no empty check box to download.

P52D-15 Dress Blues looks identical to P-51D-15-Dress Blues.  Craven, can you confirm which one is correct?  I would recommend deleting BOTH, and re-uploading with the correct name (I THINK is the P-52 is the one we want as it was the later of the 2 uploads).

Deleting the skins is relatively easy, you have to hit up the HSD Discord site https://discord.gg/rPMFvXt7, and post which skins you want deleted in the "request-skin-updates" section.  Only the original uploader can do this.  Once the file is gone, you simply re-upload it with the corrections.

You will see my deletion request there.

Also on that site is the removed-skins section.  If the skin you uploaded doesn't appear in about 48 hours, check there, it may not have passed curation, reasons will be outlined there.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I just updated WWDarkdiz - P51D-Raptor and WWDarkdiz - P51D-RCAF on Haluters.  Same file name, so HSD should automatically download and update the files in your game folder if you have them downloaded.

The updated files are also in the vault (WWDarkdiz/BOS Skins/...)

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 10/13/2021 at 5:28 PM, WWDarkdiz said:

Looking through the HSD files, there are several that are exact duplicates (and some the file name is the same, but the aircraft is different, so they are NOT duplicates).  Only the artist (uploader) can request deletion, so in the interest of saving a bit of space...

WWGreywolfe - SpitfireMkXIV uploaded by me is the exact same as WWGreywolfe-SpitfireMkXIV uploaded by Wolfie (note the difference in file names, one has spaces, one doesn't).  I'll have the one I uploaded deleted from HSD.

WWCraven-TempestMkVs2 was revised to WWCraven_TempestMkVs2.  Recommend have HSD delete the older one (the one with the dash NOT the underscore), so every time we log on there is no empty check box to download.

P52D-15 Dress Blues looks identical to P-51D-15-Dress Blues.  Craven, can you confirm which one is correct?  I would recommend deleting BOTH, and re-uploading with the correct name (I THINK is the P-52 is the one we want as it was the later of the 2 uploads).

Deleting the skins is relatively easy, you have to hit up the HSD Discord site https://discord.gg/rPMFvXt7, and post which skins you want deleted in the "request-skin-updates" section.  Only the original uploader can do this.  Once the file is gone, you simply re-upload it with the corrections.

You will see my deletion request there.

Also on that site is the removed-skins section.  If the skin you uploaded doesn't appear in about 48 hours, check there, it may not have passed curation, reasons will be outlined there.

Skins noted in italics and underlined have been removed from HSD.  I will re-upload the Tempest skin in a few minutes.

• Like 1