Gold Flight input requested

WWCephas

I had in my mind a mission for Tuesday in my current 1946US series that would put Gold flight in P38's dropping heavy bombs (2× 2k lb) in vertical dive attacks from 10k alt and releasing above 5k feet.

If Gold flight would prefer to do level bombing that can be accommodated and this attack profile given to fighter flights.

I don't want to give anything away just yet but I have a novel mission type planned.

3 hours ago, WWSandMan said:

The -38 has dive brakes, in case you didn't know. Extremely helpful when the pointy-end is aimed at terra firma. 

Also helpful when it pitch-locks above 325(?) KIAS when the afore-mentioned pointy end is pointed at terra firma

• Like 1

We'll take the 38's, I read the mission info just commenting on these posts.

My only concern is the P-38 had a FATAL flaw going too fast in a dive (per Darkdiz), but if we use the dive brakes (that's what they were designed for) and kill the throttle we shouldn't have a problem.

Would these 2 2k bombs be enough to take out an "industrial section" or would 4 or 6 be needed?

Edited by WWFrylock

The mission is made so that as long as you hit any part of the industrial area the explosion will be simulated for the full force of a fuel/air bomb.  Only one drop per section will be needed, just remember to pull out above 5K alt.  Also several of the areas are next to each other so on the first few bomb runs even if you miss a sector you may end up hitting another and then get a better idea of how your bombs fall after release.

In testing I just used my gunsight aiming just past the target sector allowing for gravity to pull my bomb down hitting short (just below the nose) of where the gunsight was pointing.  (Diving at 70-80 degrees with brakes out)

• Like 1