Thursday 10/14 Tusani Hurrikaani 3

WWCephas

P40's loadout for this mission is: Extra ammo, Roskets, and an SC250 bomb. 

With a limited number of P40 pilots and only a single bomb available, being able to hit a bridge on the first try is important, so if you have a chance to fire up the Quick mission builder and practice it would help.

Hurricane pilots: I tested the 303's on trucks and they work ok if you shoot where your convergence is set but we need to conserve our ammo to cover the P40's for the most part.

Pilot roster changes:

Red Flight:  

1: WWGreyWolfe: Hurricane

2: WWCephas: Hurricane

3: WWSandman: Hurricane

4: (Any other WW that joins)

Viking Flight:

1: WWCraven: P40

2: WWDarkdiz: P40 

3: WWSittingDuck: P40

4: WWPlague: P40

Hurricane equipment status:

Available: 8

Repair: 2  (1 week)

Destroyed: 2

Edited by WWCephas
  • Like 1

One more clarification post on P40 loadouts.  It is 4x .50's with 42 seconds of ammo all guns.  That should smoke a lot of trucks!

Rockets can destroy bridges if necessary but the far North bridge target may take 2-3 rockets.

I find it is best to shoot them at point blank range, just before pulling back on the stick.  You rarely miss then, and I experienced no blast damage every time.

So that mission went kinda sideways when the Random AI decided to go straight to our pre mission rendezvous and then hit us before we even knew they were there.

I also built it a bit too over the top with action like a Tuesday night mission.

We were also a little short of Hurricane pilots tonight so it did not go well at first.  I called a Mission Editor mulligan on the mission and we allowed respawning.

I will rework this one so if we ever run it again that will be fixed and also add the variable strength option as we  were badly outnumbered.

Still fun was had, bullets were spent, and planes went down.

There was a lot of confusion too about which bridges to hit in the grey on white snow so I may add some smoke markers from the covert ops unit that called in the strike.

When you build the mission it is easy to forget how hard it is to fly and navigate and check the mission map all at the same time on a new area.

Thanks all who flew.

Pilot roster changes:

Red Flight:  

1: WWCraven: Hurricane

2: (Any other WW that joins)

3: WWGreyWolfe: Hurricane

4: WWDarkdiz: Hurricane

Viking Flight:

1: WWCephas: P40 (2 weeks)

2: WWSandman: P40 (2 weeks)

3: WWSittingDuck: P40 (last week)

4: WWPlague: P40 (last week)

Hurricane equipment status:

Available: 8

Repair: 0  

Destroyed: 4

Edited by WWCephas
  • Like 1

I'll trade my Hurricane for a P-40, if anyone is having issues with flying the P-40. I did ah'right in it tonight. An air kill and a ton of ground kills. Suits me. 

OMG! ... the stats were totally confused tonight, because apparently all I had to do was think about firing my guns and I got hits on the bad guys. Look at this hit percentage stat from my single P-40 sortie:

"Gunnery Accuracy   10975.0%

Number of shots   4

Number of bullets hit the target   439" 

LMAO!

• Haha 1

that was a complete cluster f**k last nite.  knew something was way wrong cause lites on my joystick mfd where blinking on and off. hence the first restart.

my 2 quadrants where reversed in settings, and could not get them right...no matter how many times i edited devices.txt

Once I did get in the air, my iin-game record kept starting all by itself, and every 30 secs or so it would put me in spectate mode...on which plane I have no idea. Didn't really have time to study it.

I will miss the 360 degree immersion, but am very close to taking a hammer to my rift.  Just way too much hassle trying to fix things when they go south.

I was quite surprised at the lethality/accuracy of the flak.  1-hit instant kill at altitude over the RRR base for the first one (mulligan awarded as mission hadn't activated), then 1 hit mortal-aircraft-damage after hitting the first bridge for my second death. I discovered the P40 does not like to fly much normally, even less so with a wing missing.

I wasn't sure about the re-spawn rules (2 deaths from enemy fire in dead-is-dead), so waited and listened until it was decided to allow re-spawns, jumped into a Hurri, and joined up with Cephas who was busy with a pair of I-16s.  He dispatched one, and I wasted all of my ammo on the second, which was severely damaged, but the pilot was determined to sacrifice himself for the Motherland.  He finally decided he had had enough, and ran with black and white smoke emanating from several hole in his ride.  Cephas and I RTB'd, re-spawned, and took off for a final run at the arty base.  I finally got the kill message on the second I-16 enroute.  Was FAST approaching nightfall, but we managed to kill the final GAZ at the base (got the message after we were well on our way back).  VERY interesting trying to navigate/land at night, finally found our base thanks to the flare duel/fire-works display between Craven and Sandy (many friendly fire messages at this point).  Was like the kids in the back seat fighting on a long road trip.  Landed, did the Disney-on-Ice thing, and wasted a few flares on Craven (he was out of range though).  Taxi'd closer to get into range, but he de-spawned.  I see a flare-only duel for sqn night in our future, I never laughed so hard seeing this.  Very cool using controls I rarely use (formation lights, landing lights etc), and seeing what they do.

The nav lights on/off made it very difficult to determine friend from foe, especially at game-speed in a furball. I really think its a good thing, just using nav lights for a quick and dirty sqwawk-ident.  My vote is to keep using this procedure.  Another thing I thought was interesting, and maybe should be explored further, was the day/night environment.  If memory serves me, we did a mission in the Kuban campaign where we hit artillery positions and naval targets at night.  The night environment adds a complete new layer with its associated complexities, maybe a future mission with this added?

In the Hurikaani series the flak guns are more accurate (but much less numerous) and it is a bummer you got hit, but it happens every now and then even when set to low.

We all need to remember to not go near the front lines unless necessary and also to fly erratically when within range at all times.

AAA is one of those love hate things in the game.  It sux when they get you but if they are so inaccurate they really pose no threat except for a random luck shot then it is kind of pointless including them.   But the more accurate they are the more satisfaction you get in taking them out. A risk/reward thing (IMHO)