Dune

WWCephas

After a year and a half of waiting to see the new Dune movie I was worried it would not live up to the hype.

IT IS AWESOME, a nearly perfect adaptation of the stellar book.  Unfortunately it is only the first half so now the waiting begins again.

At least I watched on HBO Max so I can see it again, and again, and probably again.

• Like 1

The one with Sting in it, was not that good, it was better if you had read the books first, but very confusing if you hadn't.

There was a second movie put out, it was much better, and followed the books quite faithfully.  I think it was kind of a multi-part mini-series, it was pretty good.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=2ahUKEwjBtqv1jeHzAhU-JzQIHZ8pABYQtwJ6BAgFEAM&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3D7B1nfv65xQY&usg=AOvVaw2jwRX1x6UQeK8wy_X90srY

Having never read the book, and never seeing any of the previous movies, I went into it with a completely blank slate. It was extremely entertaining and the special effects were very well done. I’m looking forward to the second half and now I’m going to have to listen to the audiobook or pick up a used copy of the real thing somewhere. 

• Like 1

I kept seeing this advertised (I have HBO Max also) and each time it came up I just groaned inwardly. "Not this shit again..."

My experience having come from trying no less than three times to watch the first interminably long movie, yes the one with Sting. The only thing I came away with was the big big sand-worms and some thing/person called Mau'Deeb. Whatever the fuck that is. I tried seeing it three times because a friend kept telling me how great a story it was. And, admittedly, the first time I tried to watch it (I think I was in the Army in Germany, so '85-ish?) I was likely a few good German Hefe Weizens in. The next two times the movie was on TV back in the States, and made even longer by commercials. I never made it far with either opportunity.

I never bothered to look for the book(s), since I never could wrap my head around the movie. 

But... with such glowing reviews from my fellow WW's, I may have to give this new version a chance. But I'll admit to not being in any particular hurry to see it.