W11 and TPM

WWSittingduck

Know most folks are reluctant when it comes to upgrades...they can cause  more problems than they solve.  I just did a normal W10 upgrade, and it told me my system did not meet min. requirements for w11, which kinda pissed me off. Looking into it, I do not have TPM enabled in my bios.  Looking into TPM, it appears to be another layer of security intended to stop hackers from gaining access to computers.  It is not only software based, it is also hardware based.  My motherboard, (and most newer motherboards), have a slot for a TPM module.

tpm.thumb.jpg.c65923f8421277b4f69de3fd61096817.jpg

At any rate, most of us just go about thinking we are not vulnerable, which unfortunately is far from the truth.

Pretty wild when the upgrade requires a hardware upgrade as well.  Guessing turning it on in your BIOS makes you compliant, but can't really use it if you don't have the TMP hardware on your mother board.  Mine has a slot for it only, a little unclear it the ASUS TMP circuit board available online is compatible with the motherboard ( but it does not  appear to have the right number of  pins for it).

Pic1.JPG

well...i'm not really sure that is true.  It does throw me off a bit that a motherboard with a bios that supported tpm 2.0 would have the need for the additional  header.  As much as I have googled it, can not find a clear cut answer.  I think just having tpm set in the bios and maybe having tpm configured correctly gives you a certain level of security.  It very well could be that adding the module increases that level of security.  I have no idea what bit locker is, and am hoping I never need to know what bit locker is.

but if you are thinking of getting a module...I would either get it right away cause as supply dwindles (and it is dwindling fast) prices for these suckers are soaring, or wait till supply catches up with demand.  

But my gut tells me for the average joe, as long as your MB/Bios supports tpm 2.0 and it is enabled you are good to go.

I could very well be wrong thou.....

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

well I took one more step towards W11.  I did buy the TPM module for my motherboard.   Price had gone up, but it was being sold on the Gigabyte website with my specific motherboard listed as compatible.  Guessing if I wait two years they will be long gone.  Hoping my  current build will last a long time, so worth investing in a bit of future proofing.

• Like 1