MFD Screen MOD project

WWCephas

Certainly if we try DCS, these would be cool.  They are on my Christmas wishlist (as are a second pair of MFDs).  Apparently, they also send you the .lua file specific to your setup, so its ALMOST plug and play.

Right now though, I'm using my MFDs as button boxes for TS and SRS, works quite nicely

Basically Cubesim is just using his own printer case with an LCD screen mod.  I found a similar setup on Thingiverse, maybe not as slick a case as his but it looks good still.

I think I will try and order the CLAA070MA0ACW screen mod and print up the casing with a thingiverse file and see how that works on one.  If it goes well maybe I can print up more cases or even assemble them for other WW's.

Printing is cheap, a few pieces of hardware, and the screen with controller is as low as $40 on E-bay.  I should be able to do it for under $50.

Modding the DCS screen LUA monitor file does not sound too hard either.

The hardest part will be waiting for the screen to arrive from China, Ebay says Dec 16 to 22 but that seems unlikely unless it arrives by airmail.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3877146

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4e58NVuxSWE

Edited by WWCephas
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, WWCephas said:

The total price will be a little higher as this screen did not include a power supply ($5-10) and a HDMI to USB 3 video converter if you do not have spare hdmi ports on your video card ($25).

I have both spare HDMI port(s) and USB3 adaptor.

Thanks for the offer Plague but there should be no need for a template with these downloaded cases, it should match up fine, I just need to install a few pressnuts in the preset holes in the 3d Model and assemble with screws.

@WWDarkdiz It will obviously be cheaper if you have the ports.  :)

This current case design also retains the ability to use the stock adjustable angle base unit or an option to print a VESA mount with no base it you want to mount it up that way.

I just started printing the first case today, it takes about 24 hours per set to print.  Now, if I had a spare LCD screen to test in the cases I could start mass producing cases, but I have to wait to get the first screen test completed before I risk that.

One more issue is that the final price of the screen may vary as well.  I was able to find one for $40 on E-bay but he had only one left, there were many more available elsewhere but from $45 up to $70.

If the first prototype works, I will nail down the final cost of parts and then see who is interested in them to get a mass order going at cost, but if there is a cost overrun such as a bad screen I cannot get refunded or similar issue I would ask everyone chip in a percentage equal to the number of units/people to cover that loss since this is not for profit.

I may even be willing to help out non WW's as well, but that is an issue for when the first batch is done.

Edited by WWCephas
  • Like 1

Estimated parts and costs:

3 Printed case, with or without VESA mount 250grams @ $25/kg - $6 in filament costs

Case Hardware - $2

CLAA070MA0ACW Screen assembly with cables and controllers - $40-$70 (averaging $45 depending on availability)

12V 3A video power supply - $8 (varies)

HDMI to USB 3.0 adapter - (Optional $25, $45 for 2 port adapter)

HDMI out cable (User provided)

Shipping (varies, no weight to estimate it on yet)

Edited by WWCephas

First part off the press, the faceplate for the case.  The holes line up well with the MFD switchplate so all looks well.  

The part does add a half inch of width on both sides of the MFD.

The lower half of the case comes with a LH and RH version so you can choose which way you want the cables coming out of it.  I imagine most people would want one of each.

Also If you end up with a dead MFD switchplate like Plague it is going to be easy to replace just the Cougar switchplate without disturbing anything in the monitor case.

The switchplate also retains the sleeve for the plastic card if you want to retain that for a screen protector when installed on the monitor case.

20211205_183326.jpg.749c07cb9b33dc2a40ec6528b5f7825a.jpg20211205_183345.jpg.b8261043ee967d444953c43bde586854.jpg

Edited by WWCephas
  • Like 1

This is shaping up nicely.

A question though, any display of that size would still put out a bit of heat. Could there be maybe on the back case a grille of sorts for some airflow? I doubt a fan would be needed, but from what I have seen on the net (the ones that are duck-taped together, nothing as elegant as this) heat can be a problem.

Just a thought

So being impatient I went ahead and ordered a second screen from a different E-Bay vendor.  The lowest price I could find was just under $48 with taxes, a $5 increase.

I did some research on these boards and apparently they are no longer in production, but Panelook listed thousands still available at several Chinese wholesalers.

According to the information stored in Panelook this model mass production on Q3, 2009, Now this model is discontinued. 

So, while I do not foresee these panels becoming unavailable any time soon, it is a possibility as those web pages may be dated as well.  There are dozens of vendors to choose from on E-Bay still though.

While these Chinese vendors on Ebay claim two-week delivery it remains to be seen with the current world supply chain problems if that is true.

Therefore, if anyone wants to take a chance (like me) and pre-order a screen(s) before I have a first model up and running because they want it as soon as possible, we can arrange that, just PM me and we will work out the details.

I do not foresee any problems assembling these units, but things can always go sideways so there is some risk involved.

I am still waiting to find out what size power supply pin is used so I can order a 12V 3A power supply for this before it arrives.