Mission for Thursday 1/13/22: In work......

The Meuse Sandbox has been pulled from Thursday and will be run on Tuesday the 18th.

I am hoping to have a newish mission ready for tomorrow, A reversal of the 1946 US vs USSR mini campaign featuring Yak 9's, La5 Fn and Il2's.

• WWCephas changed the title to Mission for Thursday 1/13/22: In work......
19 hours ago, WWCephas said:

The Meuse Sandbox has been pulled from Thursday and will be run on Tuesday the 18th.

I am hoping to have a newish mission ready for tomorrow, A reversal of the 1946 US vs USSR mini campaign featuring Yak 9's, La5 Fn and Il2's.

Sounds fun! Can the Yak-7 be made available too?

I thought the skies would be busier when I made the mission, but then again I do not want to devolve into Air Quake either with streams of enemy planes.  I would rather err on the side of realism than endless streams, but I hear you Mainz.  :)

Next week should be more active.  (I hope)

I updated that mission for future replay by eliminating the friendly AI CAP patrol, removing the random delays to the Attack flights and moving their attack flight spawn and despawn points closer, but still well beyond visual range of the patrol area.  The delay incurred by flying in and back out (if they survive) pretty much negates the need for the respawn delay.

I also did a measurement with the map ruler of the chase we did at the end getting those retreating Typhoons, from where I started to where I caught #2 it was 60km.  #1 left his wingman to the wolves, but then again he should have dropped his rocket rails and outran me.

I discovered an interesting phenomenon with the La5, in that I was transiting back to base to investigate a fairly low contact reported by Cephas.  I was at a relatively high altitude, certainly above the clouds, so decided to do a fairly aggressive dive to build up airspeed.  In doing so, I discovered that the La5's controls get VERY heavy as speed builds up, and lock completely at a certain point.  Unfortunately that point had my nose still well below the horizon.

It was interesting in that initially, the plane responded to my pitch up stick command, and I don't think I was pulling an excessive amount of Gs (no noticeable black/grey out, nor heavy breathing), but the plane suddenly stopped responding to the pitch up command, and seemed to pitch down instead.  It was almost as if my elevator control rods disconnected.  At least I didn't hit a tree...

Back in the 46 version of il2, my favorite escape from Russian Fighters was simply to dive. Most of them fell apart at just over 650 kph. I once had three Yaks chasing me in my 190, I dove hard from about 6000m, gently dodging long range fire from the closest Yak. By the time I got leveled out at  500m, all three had disintegrated and I only had to dodge their falling parts. 

One interesting thing I noticed last night  when trying to set a defensive line against fighter bombers is that even when we spotted them early it was hard to intercept them before they reached the target area unless you were directly between the target and them.  We had several chases that only got within shooting range just as the enemy was starting their attack dives.

We did a pretty good job defending though with only minimal damage to any of the positions.  In mission tests without patrols the Ai would pretty much wipe out the targets.

• Like 1