Arado AR234 B2.....strange bird

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arado_Ar_234

I do wonders sometimes how they decide which planes to model.   Jet Bomber that requires extra gear to get off the ground on short runways.   Can select either bomb site or camera package.  Big Bombs but no guns, so guess with jets you better out run everything? 

The cockpit is pretty amazing but makes me feel like I should be wearing lead underpants with that view between my legs.

Great recon aircraft?  You actually have camera bays to open ( see pic below). 

Pic1.JPG

Pic2.JPG

I've never understood their (1C/777's) decision process for selecting aircraft to model. It's odd enough in the WW2 arena (why bother with the IAR 80/81 when we're completely missing the I-153 series??) Especially in the WW1 arena. The only Nieuport version in the game is the one the French pawned off on the Americans because the French hated it. No 11's, 17's , or other more highly produced versions. But yes, let's make a Siemen's Schuckert D.IV that had a total production run of 123 airframes. WTF?

Anyway... rant-mode off. So how was the Ar-234 to fly? Did you toast the engines a few times before getting it airborne? 

Interesting they gave us the periscope and the ability to rotate 180 but didn’t give us the defensive gun.   Same startup as the 262 so my voice attack still works like a charm.  And 35 seconds of rocket boost……..

33 minutes ago, WWZed said:

Interesting they gave us the periscope and the ability to rotate 180 but didn’t give us the defensive gun.   Same startup as the 262 so my voice attack still works like a charm.  And 35 seconds of rocket boost……..

So how do you get THAT (periscope) to work?

Ok, if I were responsible giving this an airworthiness certificate, it would remain grounded. At best, I would consider this to be at the mid-beta testing stage, certainly not at the release stage. In the real world it would be in the Developmental Test and Evaluation (DT&E) phase, nowhere near the Operational Test and Evaluation (OT&E) phase.

Spent quite a while trying to figure out the gunsight system, still no joy, the periscope/bombsight, even with all of the gunsight buttons bound, and even with keyboard inputs, does not work, or at least I could not get it to work.

Many more control bindings listed, 0 explanation as to what they do (many gunsight bindings, some double-bound, others not, many fuel system bindings, some double bound, some not)

With Gunpods equipped, with or without bombs, bombsight cranked as far up as possible (80 degs), can't fire 20mm. Took the bombsight out, cannon fires somewhere ahead if in cockpit view.

Periscope stays where it is, have never been able to look through it, let alone control it. WAY too complex for the average pilot to figure out (you have to have this equipped, but not that equipped, then bind this key and that key, then it has to be Tuesday, but if its raining, it has to be Thursday... you get the picture).

Tried engine start (same as 262), never successful, even trying it manually with ignition button bound.  Engine simply quits, no light off

Contact Altimeter seems to work, at least it can be set

Drogue works as advertised, first press to deploy, second press to release from the aircraft

Fuel dump can turn on, but cant turn off (handle remains out, so the toggle does not work), it drains until the engine flames out

Never got to testing the rocket-assist, but the jettison works (same binding as Jettison Stores for the spent rocket pods on the 51 etc)

Aux tank jettison I never tested, I suspect it may be for other aircraft

Other issues are there, but I don't see any point in listing them

Final grade for this is a strong F for Frustrating.  MUCH work to be done, I will not be flying it any time soon.

Spent another several hours trying to sort this one out. Still not sure what all of the new fuel system bindings are for, new aircraft? C47? B-25/26? Are they for existing aircraft (Aux fuel tank jettison for example)?

Fuel dump is still one-way, but at least I managed to figure out the periscope, turns out it is the Nestle to Visor command.  Many of the bombsight commands are double-bound with other gunsight commands, with  new commands, such as Bombsight tgt height, Plane TAS, Gunsight Twist (no idea what this is). I counted more than 20 new binds, or double binds over the last 2 updates. The Jet take-off can be double bound with firing rockets, as in reality, that is what you are doing, and the Jettison Rocket command can be bound with the Jettison stores command.

Another note about the 234: The cockpit photo does not work, even if it is selected, so no cockpit photo until this is fixed I guess.

Got at least one engine started, the other one just caught on fire, so that is still a WIP. Many questions remain, Diz's issuance of the airworthiness certificate still a ways off...

Still working on it. At least I managed to get both engines started, taxi, and airborne (granted only 15 seconds before crashing, but no one was watching…)

MAJOR remap needed, especially for the Jet boosters. I had initially thought they could be bound along with the firing rockets, in my setup, not the case, as to fire rockets it is a pulse function, and the jet boosters are a hold function. I ended up double-binding the booster with the Blip function, which is also a hold function but will never be on the same aircraft, so safe to do so.

Still trying to sort out all of the bombsight/gunsight stuff, and the fuel pump/indicator stuff. Fuel dump is one way, on only, so beware.

More to follow as I discover it