Mission for Tuesday 6/28: RU - Velikie Luki: The Doomed Fortress '43

Doesn’t appear to be my week so far.  Might not get on tonight, we’re in the midst of some heavy, and I do mean heavy thunderstorms at the moment.  Bad enough that the dog is cowering under the bed shaking like crazy.

His morning while I was setting up the 5th wheel at this weekend’s camping spot, a black bear wandered down the road then decided to check out some of the camp sites.  Couldn’t make it to the truck so I had to climb up the ladder to get on top of the unit and wait for him o saunter off on his way.  That was 15 minutes of pure fun…..  Course I had the freaking bear spray in the truck, fat lot of good that did me.

Anyway, I’ll be on if the storm passes through.

Thanks for the mission, was fun to fly and hear everyone’s voices tonight. That was the first extended session with VR, and I was sweating at the end. Glad to hear the built in mic was good to go on the headset, and it sure beats wearing the other earphones over the headset. Shot down a handful of planes and managed to blow several engines in the process. Fun was had regardless. Very cool mission!

The kill scoring link for the convoy was broken so it was not registering the damage we did so we probably would have had a victory last night, but still it was fun trying to stop that armored assault from advancing and we did delay it quite a bit.

Looking at the stat results I cannot tell how many of the ground kills were from the column and how many were from the static defenses, but I am pretty sure they suffered about 50% casualties which would be devastating to a unit IRL.

I was really surprised to see that our flight was about 70% attack aircraft last night, and although it is much maligned, I was glad to see the Pe-2 being used.

It is a shame we do not have the TU-2 as mentioned last night, from Wikipedia:

The aircraft had its baptism of fire over Velikiye Luki. There, in November–December 1942, this Tupolev bomber flew 46 sorties. On February 11, 1943, 132 BAP was transferred to 17 VA to support the drive toward River Dnepr and it flew another 47 sorties - attacking airfields and rail junctions - until April 13, when the unit was removed from frontline. By that time only three Tu-2s were lost in action, while seven were damaged.[4] The Tu-2 remained in service in the USSR until 1950.

Even if they were just AI I would really like to see some more early Russian birds like the I-153, SDB-2 we had in -46.

• Like 1