Saying Goodbye

In case you're wondering why I took this photo instead of being at her side... I was setting up the camera to record the service on video (for family who couldn't be there, etc.) Meghan happened to walk up, not knowing I was in back getting the camera ready. When I saw her shoulders shaking though the viewport of the camera, I just instinctually snapped the photo. I didn't realize what I had captured until I was going through audio, video and stills this afternoon.

Straight to the gut, this one.  

• Like 1

I was living in California when I received the phone call that my mom passed, in 1988. December 23rd. Buy plane ticket, had to fly to St. Paul, Mn, only to find out the connection to Lincoln Nebr. was canceled for lack of passengers. Got driven across the river to some Holiday Inn at 9pm, no supper. Flew back to Lincoln the next morning on a plane that was a cigar with wings, 140mph with a 70mph headwind. Furneral was the 27th or 28th, because of the Holiday. Having a parent pass over one of the major Holidays when you are living miles away, made it doubly hard. Not much into Christmas that year. Mom worked Friday and died in the Hospital Saturday. Her un-opened gift were under the tree when I got to my parents house. Rough on all of us, especially Dad. 

Condolences to Megan and you.

I lost my best friend, a guy who lived a block down the street as kids, I knew for 67 years, last March 11th. We shared an apt. or two, when we were both bachelors. He had end stage COPD at the end of his life, was suffering, and died in a rehab center  10 days after leaving the hospital, and knowing he could never go back home with the lack of care he needed to have. That funeral was a little rough on me. Over those 67 years, we got drunk, chased women, (until he got married), went shooting together, solved the worlds problems over coffee in the local hangout, (after we both quit our mega drinking habit), every Monday night, for 20 years, after I moved back to Lincoln, until he got too sick to drive and leave the house. I sure am feeling my mortality since he passed. 

• Sad 1

Condolences to Meghan and your family.    Robyn and I lost both sets of parents over about eight years.  Parkinson's, Cancer, Alzheimer's, none of them an ending you would pick if you got a choice.  My side had six siblings, Robyn was an only child, big and small family dealing with all that came with its own set of problems.   The main thing I learned as a spouse or sibling is everyone's wiring is a bit off when you are grieving.  Things you would normally joke about don't get received well.  People get frustrated or go dark over odd things.  Felt like you really had to walk on eggshells and let it all play out with each person.  Glad you are there to support Meghan during this rough time. 

• Thanks 1