Sandy's new build

Went for broke on this one, for several reasons. First off, because FUCK IT, I can. Second, I want a machine that's going to hang in there for a few months before I decide something needs upgrading. So... don't ask the price tag. It's actually reasonable (considering... ) because the most expensive part - the video card: an Asus RTX 4070 Ti Super - I already have. 

Back story: I found that by switching from my current ISP to one if it's newly created subsidiaries, I could double my fiber speed to 2gb/s for $10 less a month. I got that done. It's actually a little faster than 2, at about 2.3gb/s from my home to the main switch building, about four miles away. Of course, having 'gigabit' internet and wifi inside the house does me no good, since nothing is taking advantage of the higher speeds available. So.... a new router is inbound that will handle 2.5 gb/s internet and Wifi 7 protocols (though my phone and other wifi can only do wifi 6e, but that's still much faster wifi than I currently have.) Along with the new router is a new 2.5gb 5-port switch, and new Cat 8 cabling. In addition to my existing 1gb switches for the other hard-wired doo-dads throughout the house. 

Then I got to looking at a new PCIE network card for computer, to also make use of the new internet speeds. But then I lose one of M2 SSD's, because the SSD uses the PCIE slot's resources (if not the physical slot) I'd need. Well, shit. That means... Time to look and see what something new will run me. And suddenly I have ideas for actual use of my current machine: turn it into a WW game server (!) ; home NAS server of sorts (virtual machines running the NAS stuff? Why not, let's try it); a home portal for the surveillance cameras I'm looking to install around the house, and personal cloud server. I mean, a 10th Gen I-9 with 64gb ram and M2 SSD storage, why not make it work?

So the new machine build eventually shaped up as follows:

• Intel I-9 14900K
  • Asus RoG Strix Z790 Gaming Wifi II motherboard 
  • 64gb PC5600 DDR5
  • 2TB M2 SSD Gen 5 (plus room for four more Gen 4 M2 drives, as well as two 3.5" spinning hard drives)
  • Corsair RM1000x Shift 80 Gold power supply
  • Corsair iCue H150RGB Elite all in one water cooling for the processor
  • Fractal North case, black with hardwood front inlay, glass side panel. (oops, originally wrote Fantec when it's actually a Fractal model!)

As mentioned, using my existing:

• Asus RTX 4070 Ti Super video card
  • Logitech G915 wireless keyboard and G603 wireless mouse.
  • 32" Dell 4k main monitor (Displayport); 27" Dell 2k secondary monitor (Displayport), plus two small HDMI 800x800 monitors inside my TM Cougar MFD's. These were the main reason I went for that Asus video card... It's the only one I found that still had two HDMI outputs as well as three DP outputs. 
  • All my existing flight controller gear: TM WartHog throttles and stick; MFG Crosswind rudder pedals, TrackIR 5.

Badly lit stack of boxes! 

IMG_0681-Enhanced-NR-2.thumb.jpg.1942a099735d0f634104ab8585485f64.jpg

Slightly better component pics, most from the web: 

PXL_20240327_021624519-2.thumb.jpg.ad7f2cef9cce067f33918fff82a7e8c4.jpg PXL_20240327_021611913-2.thumb.jpg.06848c8da56434ad715a62ca9efe7a59.jpg 

PXL_20240327_021726170-2.thumb.jpg.9e025195eac02cd64e74214f4de25fe0.jpg

PXL_20240327_021958051-2.thumb.jpg.0f0d820e957d31cd75d4fa735e99f09a.jpg

corsair_rm1000x_shift.thumb.jpg.f94b7f3a2329f92c1b6c288db63740b4.jpg

asus_rog_strix_z790_gaming_wifi_ii.thumb.png.bbfc8dec02b6bd3456e373a86591e507.png

corsair_ww_icue_h150i_rgb_elite_360mm_liquid_cooling.thumb.jpg.e04f78d6411f9ef0b2dd4fdf778da2c1.jpg

fractal_design_north_atx-mid-tower.thumb.jpg.1b7a40d4683216c0c7927509290e4a70.jpg

asus_tuff_gaming_nvidia_rtx-4070-ti-super.png

• Like 2

This build is going to scream along once you have it built.  Of course then comes the joys of getting all those programs transferred over to the new build, never my fav thing to do.

Still considering upgrading my components as well, looking at;

• MSI PRO Z790-A MAX WiFi ProSeries

• Intel Core i9-13900KF, 24 cores (8 P-cores + 16 E-cores)

• CORSAIR VENGEANCE RGB DDR5 RAM 64GB (2x32GB) 6400MHz CL32 Intel XMP iCUE Compatible

• Like 1

On 3/27/2024 at 6:55 PM, WWSensei said:

Came here thinking Sandy was going to show us x-rays of his ticker or show off a new one. Gonna stay for the  Fuck-It! attitude and new toys.

I can do that, too... Here's a side view x-ray showing the four sets of stainless steel twist-ties holding my chest together: 

xray_002_07Jan24.jpg

• Like 1

Boo, lost a long post.

TL/DR version: Working on the new build: motherboard (cpu, memory, main m2 drive), power-supply, radiator and fans, case fans all installed. I have a couple steps before I disassemble the old one and start moving stuff around. Not trying to save existing software installs, will be re-installing everything from scratch and clearing/wiping existing drives. Putting most everything on the M2 drives, with spinning drives for mass storage (music/video/images/local backups.) Old box will maintain a single 1tb M2 drive for OS and limited other stuff. Might keep a 12tb spinner in that box if my networking idea works out. Have to work on re-cabling the house with CAT 8 (can handle up to 40gbps ethernet traffic on standard RJ45 connectors) ; that's a high priority issue. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, WWSandMan said:

I can do that, too... Here's a side view x-ray showing the four sets of stainless steel twist-ties holding my chest together: 

xray_002_07Jan24.jpg

I see you paid for the cable maintenance wiring package. Sweet! Did they upgrade the CPU and memory or is that still all the old tech? 😎

• Haha 2

On 3/30/2024 at 12:04 PM, WWSensei said:

I see you paid for the cable maintenance wiring package. Sweet! Did they upgrade the CPU and memory or is that still all the old tech? 😎

All original equipment, dang it.Didn't even blow the dust bunnies out. 

My request for a little additional 'packaging' for my male package also went unfulfilled, though it did draw some interesting comments from the staff, and Meghan... Mostly grins, and "that's not my department, but yeah, you could use some help there." Meghan tried to defend my honor, but the nurse was sharper, saying something like "oh, honey, that's sweet. But you didn't get around much, did you?" 

To keep this off tracking thread heading in a direction that won't require an R rating... 

New box is in operation, but not thoroughly populated with stuff. Had a few issues on initial start up, such as the motherboard having no baseline nvme or networking software as part of its firmware. Installing Windows doesn't go well when the fancy new Gen 5 M2 drive can't be initiated. Or the "Everything is on the web, who needs a cd/DVD player?" *eye roll* Good thing I had multiple thumb drives available. 

Old box is in the basement next to the routers, but not yet plugged in. I need box one to be up before I start the side project. 

13 hours ago, WWSandMan said:

All original equipment, dang it.Didn't even blow the dust bunnies out. 

My request for a little additional 'packaging' for my male package also went unfulfilled, though it did draw some interesting comments from the staff, and Meghan..."

I bet if you had told Meghan about the Thrustmaster Cougar Joystick with feedback upgrade she would have been on board.

• Haha 1

Getting there. Initial hook-ups made, no attention yet paid to cable routing, I just wanted to ensure the beast would run.

Flew it Thursday evening, spent a few minutes on the airfield setting up necessary axis and key bindings. Machine handled IL-2 nicely. 

IMG_06911.thumb.jpg.2141a7ce5d99796e32ffd463efca6b7e.jpg

IMG_06901.thumb.jpg.3c01abd237a7ee4d9b8c5e56ef70effb.jpg

• Like 1