Dear Santa,

WWSittingduck

VR... very excited about this and considered that over my current 144hz HD monitor. But that was a couple of years ago when IL2: BoX had not yet gotten VR tackled.

By the time BoX crushed the VR demon, I had already decided to instead put the $$ into updating my I5-2500K to the new I7-7700K in order to take better advantage of my NVidia 1080 that I got last Xmas. I read all the raves on the BoX site regarding folks who will never go back to 2d simming, saying that the screen-door effect, difficulties checking full-six, difficulties seeing distant objects, and inability to see the keyboard, are just tiny drawbacks compared to the truly awe-inspiring positives that they are gaining with the headsets. And that IS compelling! But since I don't want to have to whine about the negatives, yet, I'll be holding off until the resolution and field of view of the headsets increase... hopefully this will also give time for other shops to jump into the VR pool with their own offerings that might help drive down the prices a tad. The drop in price of the Rift, to $500-600, is definitely an incentive to ponder, right now, though!

In short, if I had the toss-away cash, I'd pick up one of the two leading brands (Rift or Vive).

The Rift is down to 400 bucks, or at least it was when I checked on Friday. I may have dropped a hint about really liking them to Heidi. So we shall see if I can give a review post-Christmas. :wink:

Say, while you're wearing those sunglasses could you drop a hint to Heidi that Spar really likes them too. :wink: With that "look" who in their right mind would attempt to deny you ANY request!

• 2 weeks later...

ouch.....(499.00).

This is the sad part about xmas for me....there is really nothing I want...or need for that matter. I rack my brain trying to figure out something. The monitor and VR idea where just just clutching at straws. suppose I would have fun with a good drone..

Duck, how about asking for a stripper to show up dressed up like a kitty kat, or a tiger, or a naughty teacher. "Hey honey, I just thought of something you can buy me for Christmas!"

If it's girl, they can look really cute with a kitty kat tail.

• 3 weeks later...

Still getting under the hood on what it can do but running games at 2560 x 1440 compared to 1920 x 1080 is significant. Was experimenting with ROF and I could definitely spot Aerostats without icons from farther away. Also found in Track IR when I scroll around in the cockpit looking off the wing I can get a better sense of the whole length of the aircraft. I think it is generally a more wide screen proportionally so getting a wider view in game. Got passed some sound issues. By default it was pointing to the monitor as the primary audio device so had to change that.

so yeah its nice!